goldfishgeek goldfishgeek
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/1/2010 20:25
Feeding Goldfish? #1
I have three single tails in a 35G tank, I feed them every second day as I am worried it will cause water quaility issues if I feed them daily. I don't really like doing this but the tanks water quaility is excellent and the Gf's do get lots of plants to eat and snails.....and there is no algae unlike the other tanks.

They have the start of a pond but due to a dispute with a neighbour I haven't been able to finish it.

I realised that really compared to previous gold fish(that I gave away due to size) these haven't grown very much at all.

One has a smushed up face (had it when I rescued) and so I never expected her to grow much but the other two I have had since March 2009 and they haven't gown either not really.
Is it ok to feed them daily? I have a water testing kit etc and like I say it is a planted tank

do you all feed yours each day?

I do feel mean I just assumed re water quaility that I was doing the best for them (w/c = 10G per week)

thanks

GFG
200L = community tank
90L = guppies

154L = goldfish

100G pond = 7 fish!
Francesvdm Francesvdm
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 25/1/2010 20:44
Re: Feeding Goldfish? #2
I feed mine twice a day. You can feed once a day slighty more, or slightly less twice a day.
135L two panda moors, 120L seven little fries
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 25/1/2010 21:04
Re: Feeding Goldfish? #3
Hiya,

Like Frances, I also feed mine twice a day.

The key is variety - a good, healthy, varied diet will ensure good health and growth.

I feed my fancies Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish pellets in the morning, and bloodworm in the evening. I sometimes switch bloodworm for tubifex, King British tablet treats, or my own homemade gel food which contains vitamins, minerals and vegetables.

If it's good growth you're after then protein is the way to go. Bloodworm is probably the best food for getting protein in your fish, but everyday you should feed a good quality staple pellet. Tetra Gold Japan pellets are good too as the fish take their time to 'chew' on them rather than gobbling them all at once!

Try to have plenty of live plants & algae to munch on too, as these are also a green addition to the diet and help keep the digestive region healthy.

Hope that helps
Juwel Rio 180 - female black moor & female panda moor
Fluval Roma 125 - male red fantail & female red cap oranda
Eheim 2213 classic canister filter on each tank
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 26/1/2010 19:16
Re: Feeding Goldfish? #4
Hi GFG
Thats about 160 litres so I wonder if the fish may be showing signs of the onset of stunting if they haven't grown True goldies put much of their size on in the early years and should get quite big TBH. There's a caresheet here on sizes: Hope this helps

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
goldfishgeek goldfishgeek
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 27/1/2010 0:36
Re: Feeding Goldfish? #5
Thanks for your replies, I was kinda hoping you'd all say that it was because I wasn't feeding them enough but I know better then that.

I am building a pond but it won't be ready for 6 months?

Is there anything I can do meanwhile? Bigger Water changes? bigger filter.

I just don't understand, I have kept fish (to my shame to some extent) in tanks and they have grown and been given away to ponds. I had one who didn't grow (Des). this lot friendly and active tho they are just are the same size!

thanks

GFG
200L = community tank
90L = guppies

154L = goldfish

100G pond = 7 fish!