« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »
Francesvdm Francesvdm
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 15:31
Re: Antibiotics #41
The circling motions seem to be her trying very hard to swim down and she can't, so you ends if in one spot going round and round. It is very sad to see. She has spent the day upside down again, and even when she rights herself she is very unbalanced and the slightest movement makes her go over.

She is eating - luckily - but she really battles to get anything. Zeta keeps "annoying", like trying to "bite" her fins etc, and I don't know if that is survival of the fittest or if that is Zeta trying to get Ziggi to move around. It is really sad to see.
135L two panda moors, 120L seven little fries
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 15:43
Re: Antibiotics #42
Personally, and obviously you know her much better than me, I'd stop feeding her for a few days. I know it sounds harsh but if she's having gut issues they could be badly inflamed, bit like IBS in people - she may need some time for things to calm down Even a little bit of quality food may be enough to inflame it all and get the gases going. And remember that peas have a lot of sugar in them, all the flora and fauna in her guts could be having a field day feeding on that thus causing even more gas production. Keep on with the antibiotics obviously as you need to finish the course but she'll be fine with no food for a few days. That's just my thoughts.

As for Zeta, she could well be picking on Ziggi because Ziggi is weak. Hard to tell. A couple of mine will pick on a weaker one, nipping and annoying like you describe. Pixie is a bit of a nurse though and will sit by a sick one and just watch over them, they all behave differently. But if Zeta is in danger of damaging Ziggi or causing her more stress it may be time to separate them

HTH.
It's Not Just A Fish
Francesvdm Francesvdm
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 16:03
Re: Antibiotics #43
I thought of stopping food, but the antibiotics are in the food. I really don't know whether to stop feeding the antibiotics and let her try to heal herself. So confusing.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 17:30
Re: Antibiotics #44
Ah, of course, I was forgetting the meds were in the food. You ought to complete the course otherwise it won't have been worth starting it, how long to go now?
It's Not Just A Fish
Francesvdm Francesvdm
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 17:41
Re: Antibiotics #45
I have now dosed the 5th dose, so done two and a half days. Not sure how long to go on for, maybe 5 or 6 days?
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 17:47
Re: Antibiotics #46
I'm not having much luck with my googling Will keep trying, I've only ever used water soluble stuff which was a four day course
It's Not Just A Fish
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 27/1/2010 19:23
Re: Antibiotics #47
How is she now doing now Frances? Any improvement?
It's Not Just A Fish
Francesvdm Francesvdm
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 27/1/2010 19:50
Re: Antibiotics #48
Hi Suey,
Thanks for asking. I persevered with the antibiotics and gave her 5 full days, which ended this morning. She still seemed to rest upside down. The only thing left to me was to reduce the nitrate, so I bought a filter to reduce the 40ppm in my tap to almost zero and I did a 30% water change this morning. This evening she is swimming around like a normal little fish. I know it is too soon to be happy, but I am hopeful!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 27/1/2010 21:01
Re: Antibiotics #49
Glad to hear she is on the mend for now Huge apologies, had completely missed the fact you have tap water nitrates over 40 - would have rung the alarm bells at once on the floating Think I may have confused myself as we were on about nitrates in this thread here on a bit of a digression, p2 and on a bit is the nitrate bit

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... =ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Great news that she's improving though Let's hope you've found the cause of her problems.
It's Not Just A Fish
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 27/1/2010 22:53
Re: Antibiotics #50
Frances, hope this really has sorted it - only time will tell though hey?

I know the PFK route was usually to chuck meds in (been there too and seen the answers) but more often than not, it's water quality that can be the problem hence why FK alway's enquires first. Let's hope fishy is now on the mend. At least you can sleep well tonight honey

A few more days will tell all I'm sure. V x
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti