wingL wingL
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/1/2010 16:13
is my fish dying? help! #1
HI.. somethings wrong with my goldfish
it started about yesterday... its always just "floating"/"resting" at the bottom...!! i am super worried cause its not its usual active self!
usually, they are always wiggling their tails and swimming frantically when they see me!! and get super excited when they see food!!

** when i fed it today, the "sick" one sensed food was falling, so it weakly swam up and tried to eat too.
i was observing it.. i am not sure, but it seemed to me that it wasnt able to suck in any food/very very few pellets. after a while, it went back to the same resting position.

i doubt its a tank problem since only 1 of the 2 fishes isnt feeling well.. not both. the other is perfectly fine!
and i dont see any spots or cloudy eyes... but i shall keep observing..

i uploaded a picture of it.. as you can see, the golden one is at the bottom while the silver one is swimming fine.

also i am not sure if its relevant, but about 10 days ago, i suspected my golden fish was "pregnant"/"eggs-filled" cause it was pretty chubby around the tummy area!! to the point that it seemed it at times had difficulties keeping its balance. but magically, it lost its weight after a week... but now its experiencing this "resting at bottom" syndrome...
so please help!!

thank you!

Attach file:

jpg  (605.44 KB)
10745_4b5b19f86f6a1.jpg 2048X1536 px
Jaywickrob Jaywickrob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 23/1/2010 16:38
Re: is my fish dying? help! #2
Hi, Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure many people will be along shortly with lots of questions and good advise regarding stock levels & tank size etc etc.

Water quality is probably the reason your fish is behaving like that.
First thing you need to do is test the water, if you have a test kit.

If you have no test kit, immediately change 50% of the water. This will dilute any toxins in the tank that may be hurting your fish.
Replacement water must be dechlorinated & temperature matched.
Lots of water changes will ensure your fish are safe whilst any other problems are sorted out.

Jay
"Treatment when the treatment is worse than the disease kills fish"
Brendan 1 Brendan 1
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 23/1/2010 21:42
Re: is my fish dying? help! #3
Is there any signs of what appears to be a fungus around his mouth or gills?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 23/1/2010 23:24
Re: is my fish dying? help! #4
Hi Wing, welcome to FK and I?m sorry your first post here is due to concern over your pets

Ok, firstly we could do with a bit more info please so we can assist more:

What are your current readings for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? (This is the most important bit)
How big is the tank (litres or UK gallons)? If unsure, post measurements.
When was it set up and did you undertake a fishless cycle?
How often do you undertake water changes and how much?
Do you use water conditioner, to get rid of chlorine and chloramines?

I?d recommend getting your own test kit so you don?t have to rely on the LFS (local fish shop). Means you can test whenever you need too. Most of us here use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, you can buy this on Ebay for half the price (about ?15) as it costs up to double in the local shops. Gives you hundreds of tests so well worth the initial investment

See here: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_tr ... _sacat=See-All-Categories

The tank does look a bit small for goldies to be honest , they are quite literally poop machines who need quite big tanks as they can get very big. Filtration is normally aimed at double the tank size. The waste can very quickly build up and cause poor water so the fish get sick. Resting on the bottom, not swimming is indicative of this although it may not affect all fish that are in the tank at exactly the same time.

Given what I think will be the tank size, in the meantime, undertake an immediate 50% water change with pre treated water and 30% daily changes thereafter ? ?needs must? right now, until you can get some results posted. Some plants would be good too, just plain old cheap Elodea would be a bonus, creates some shelter, hiding spots and plants help to keep nitrate down too. Just chuck a few bunches in, no need to plant up right now.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
wingL wingL
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 7:35
Re: is my fish dying? help! #5
thank you so much for all the quick replies!!

before i posted here, i added about 20% fresh water. but it didn't seem to work; perhaps it wasn't enough.
no i do not have a test kit, but i shall get one today!
i doubt i will get a kit on ebay since i gotta have it right now!
while i am at the pet store, what kind of water treatment should i get?

no, it doesn't appear to have any fungus... but am i inexperienced to spot it?

i have a filter and all, and i change the filters promptly every week.
ya, my fish used to be smaller... they grew.. should i get a new and bigger tank?
i have had my fish for roughly 5 months. does "fishless cycle" mean set up the rocks and filter and everything in the tank and fill it up with water but no fish for 2 days? if so, i did that.

i JUST changed 50% of the water... thank you so much everyone!!
i am just wondering.. since its the water quality... why only 1 of the 2 got sick? i guess its some sort of immune system??
Andieu Andieu
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 8:39
Re: is my fish dying? help! #6
Hiya.
The water treatment you need to get,if you haven't already, is something like Nutrafin 'aqua plus'. You add the correct amount to the water you are adding to the tank and it removes chlorine and chloramine from the tap water. It is normally in the section with the medicines.
The test kit you're best getting is the API liquid dropper one-it has test tubes in it and little bottles of solution for the different things you're testing for. It covers all the important ones like ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.
The shop will probably have some packs of paper strips that test the water. These are cheaper-but quite innaccurate so don't bother with these.

If you do a search on here for fishless cycling you'll see that it takes about 4-6weeks of having a tank set up and feeding it with some form of ammonia for the bacteria to build up.
There are links on here to the bacteria cycles too that keep your filter healthy.
You'll need to do a fish-in cycle now as you have fish, which will involve a lot of water changes and testing of the water until the filter bacteria can convert the ammonia from the fish waste to nitrite and then to nitrate. Once your tank is cycled you'll then be able to get rid of the nitrate with your weekly water change.
If you haven't got one already (I'm typing this on an iphone&cant check back to read your original post), then get a gravel Hoover whilst you're at the pet store as your gravel will need hoovering to get rid of the fish poo.

And one last thing-from your picture your tank does look too small for the fish...if you know the volume of it we'll know for sure, or post the measurements and we can work it out.
You'll really need to be looking at something like 120l minimum for 2 goldfish as a starter size as they do get big!!

And one last thing, when you say you change the filters each week, what do you mean? The bacteria lives in the filter, so the filter sponges just need a squeeze out in old tank water when you do a weekly water change to stop them from getting clogged up. If you put new ones in all the time then it'll be needlessly expensive as well as getting rid of bacteria.
Oh, and why only one fish sick? The other one will be sick but may not be showing symptoms yet. Remember, in the wild fish are prey so will not show signs of sickness till they are really ill.
HTH for now.
Have fun shopping.
Andi.
PS. Don't let you pet store sell you medicines etc. The problem here seems to be the fish in an uncycled tank. Get the water right and the fish will be a lot happier.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 10:20
Re: is my fish dying? help! #7
A bit of reading for you

The fishless cycle - all about the good bacteria in the filter
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm

Keeping goldfish
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_12/keeping-goldfish.htm

More info on goldies
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm

HTH
It's Not Just A Fish
wingL wingL
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 12:16
Re: is my fish dying? help! #8
hi.. i just want to know if it really is a toxin problem, how long does it take to heal? cause its been a day, and my fish is not looking any better!

i shut off the filter cause my weak fish cant seem to fight the current

the tank size is 20x20x20 cm..... is that bad?

ALSO
i noticed brown things on my fish's lower fins...
i took this picture back when my fish was healthy... its quite hard to capture my fish right now since its always sitting on the rocks and hiding the fins.
but anyways, i circled where the brown stuffs are now... its really sick isnt it? *sobs*

Attach file:

jpg  (308.83 KB)
10745_4b5c3a020090e.jpg 1280X960 px
Jaywickrob Jaywickrob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 12:50
Re: is my fish dying? help! #9
Ouch, only 20cm x 20cm is incredibly small, it's what is commonly known as a "Death Chamber", which is what we call any tank that is too small to house fish.

Your tank only has a total volume of 8 Ltr, but, will only actually hold 6 or 7 ltrs of useful water volume.
Your fish are really pond fish, as are all single tailed Goldfish, for this reason they need huge tanks & excellent filtration.
For single tailed Goldfish I'd recommend nothing short of 200Ltrs, even whilst they are small, or preferably a pond.

I'm afraid your fish stand little chance of survival & will certainly have health issues in such a small volume of water. Upgrading thier accomodation should be considered a priority.

Sorry it's not better news

Jay
"Treatment when the treatment is worse than the disease kills fish"
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 24/1/2010 13:03
Re: is my fish dying? help! #10
Hi Wing - gosh yes, that is small It is more than likely a toxin problem but it's going to need some work to sort, won't be an immediate result as the toxins are are only going to build up again immediately. No need to panic though, there are quick and cheap ways and means of improving things for now. Have a scout round the house and look for a large plastic storage box, or nip out to somewhere like Staples and get one of these, nice and cheap http://www.staples.co.uk/office-suppl ... tacking-storage-box-clear

Fill with dechlorinated water and pop fishies in there. The marks on the tail/fins are more than likely ammonia burns or brown spots caused by a build up of nitrite (it makes the blood look brown instead of red so causes these brown spots, the blood cannot carry enough oxygen due to the nitrite).

The greater volume of water will relieve most of your current problems and you will need to keep any eye on water tests so you can carry out water changes when needed, probably 25% daily at the moment.

Put the filter back on asap - the bacteria in it need a constant flow of water to survive. If you can get hold of some stuff called Prime you can use this to detox ammonia and nitrite for a while which will also help your fishies feel better.

Hope this helps, Jay is right but it needn't be a hopeless situation, just needs a bit of cunning thinking

First aid right now is a large water change, use boiled water from the kettle to bring it up to temp (add to bucket of cold to mix it up then add to tank).

And a curse on the poxy shops that sold you that tank and fish, they should be ashamed of themselves
It's Not Just A Fish