« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Miss Pennyapple Miss Pennyapple
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/1/2010 19:42
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #21
Yeah, unfortunately those paper strip tests are inaccuarate and not really any good. You need to get a liquid dropper test kit like the API one to get acurate results. A test for ammonia is vital too.

You've given 2 results for NitrATE, did you mean NitrITE for one of them?

A 50% water change is needed now, yes. A Nitrate reading of 100 needs to be reduced immediately. This will be contributing to the illness. Do 50% today, and then a 25% water change tomorrow. Nitrate needs to be less than 40. I'm not sure about the meds I'm afraid, never used them so can't advise. But the water changes will definitely help, and are really the cause of the problem I think, as well as the small tank size.

I know what you mean about your fish meaning so much to you - I feel the same about mine.
165L AquaOne - 1 Blackmoor, 1 red telescope fantail, 1 white telescope, 1 panda moor

Tank upgrade on its way!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 23/1/2010 20:00
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #22
Just to avoid any confusion seeing as a few people are giving advice on this one - nitrAtes of 100 (or as near as) need to be reduced. As I said earlier a 50% water change now is needed. Now that we know how high the nitrate is I'd agree with Miss P and say do another 25% tomorrow.

I would add the myxazin tonight - pop eye is another symptom of a bacterial infection so indicates that things are not getting any better. When you do another 25% water change tomorrow you need to make sure you add back in enough myxazin to compensate for what you will take out with the water change. Make a note of how much you add tonight and add 1/4 of that tomorrow with the fresh water.

I'm trying to find a thread where there is more info about the strip tests - watch this space!

Poor water may have caused the infection by reducing her immune system and causing stress. The water changes will help her feel better but she has a bacterial infection and needs some meds to get rid of it - she's not strong enough on her own. Water changes alone will not sort this one but they will help her feel better and relieve stress on her immune system.

OH will get over it Not everyone understands about fish as they're not cuddly and furry but they're still our pets FX for you both.
It's Not Just A Fish
angie35 angie35
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 23/1/2010 20:09
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #23
just done the water change and added medication, will the loaches be alright with the meds, someone said that might not beable to handle all the meds going in, he starting to come around he knows what im like with all my animals so knows i will try everything even if it is costing a bit extra, at least i know ive tried my best, thanks again
angie35 angie35
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 23/1/2010 20:15
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #24
sorry yes nitrite which was the 100 and nitrate was 1, i just done another strip and its saying the the first one is down to 50 and nitrate is now at 0
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 23/1/2010 21:32
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #25
If nitrite was 100 everything would be dead Sorry but could you double check Angie? I know nitrite and nitrate can be confusing - really need one of them to have a different name!

Keep an eye on the loaches, if you are worried or if they show any signs of not coping do a water change. As Jay said earlier, they are more sensitive to meds than goldies so it would be much better if they could be separated Any large container will do really.
It's Not Just A Fish
Miss Pennyapple Miss Pennyapple
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 23/1/2010 23:21
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #26
Em, yeah, like Sue says, if NitrITE is 100, the fish wouldn't be alive. Double check those Angie!
165L AquaOne - 1 Blackmoor, 1 red telescope fantail, 1 white telescope, 1 panda moor

Tank upgrade on its way!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 28/1/2010 17:45
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #27
Any update? How is she doing now Angie? FX she's improving
It's Not Just A Fish
angie35 angie35
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 2/2/2010 18:41
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #28
ive now isolated her, the loaches started nibbling more then her lump, from advice from a vet shes now in a kiddies beginners tank 13 litres as shes not swimming around at all, i seem to have got the water under control after putting easy balance in which greatly improved the water, im now on the 2nd week of myaxzin with a 48 hr break and 25% water change, no improvement though, shes now not eating at all, the problem i have is working out the dosage for medication, its meant to be 2.5 mls per 37.5 litres so how much for a 13 litre tank??? im not sure shes going to make it, i sit there talking to her, i dont no what else to do
angie35 angie35
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 2/2/2010 19:13
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #29
thanks everyone for helpful advice un fortunately she has just died, im absoulutely gutted, she has been buried at the bottom of the garden, thanks again
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 2/2/2010 19:38
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #30
Aw, so sorry to hear that Angie Sounds like she had someone who loved her though Well done for trying to help her.
It's Not Just A Fish