(1) 2 »
Brakus86 Brakus86
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Carmarthenshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 0:05
Advice on the start up of a Pearlscale tank #1
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would like to help me out in the setting up of a new tank specifically for pearl scales. I've kept them on and off for a few years now and have re-homed them when they have reached 5 inches or more to friends who keep a group in their pond. I'm kinda sick of giving away these great fish so I've gotten myself a 4 ft tank (59 gallon, 270 litre approx) specifically just for pearl scales.

Advice on which filtration system, plants, gravel etc I should use would be great

I've never kept more than one at a time (I keep a 75 gallon tank with various fancies and strays that I have re-homed) and aren't too sure of the specific needs of this particular fish.

Also, I've read that some species of shrimp will thrive in cold water tanks, would they work well/benefit these kinds of fish?

Thanks for any advice :)
Jaywickrob Jaywickrob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 1:39
Re: Advice on the start up of a Pearlscale tank #2
Pearl Scales are Goldfish and have exactly the same requirements as any other Fancy Goldfish.
Depending on the shape of your 4ft tank I think it could house 3 or 4 fish. If it's wider than it is tall it'll hold 4 fish, if not, 3. This is to ensure adequate surface area for efficient gas exchange.

The tank & filter will need to be cycled/matured prior to the introduction of any fish.

Goldfish will eat anything that fits into thier mouth, including shrimp, small snails & other fish.

External filters are efficient and don't clutter up the tank. Do you have a specific budget in mind?

In my opinion you should look for an filter that will turnover the full tank volume at least four times an hour.
I use a Tetratec EX1200, Ehiem Classic & AquaOne 1000 External filters, out of them I prefer the Tetratec as it has the largest media capacity, is easy to maintain & extremely quiet. Tetratec have excellent after sales service & are reasonably priced.

3 - 5mm gravel is a good size for Goldfish, it's small enough that it's unlikely to get caught in thier mouth & large enough that none can be injested whilst eating.

With regard to plants it really depends on whether you're planting for the fish or for your benefit. Many plants will be nibbled and uprooted by the fish, plants are a healthy addition to thier diet, whilst others will be left alone. Elodea & Cabomba are firm Goldfish favourites, they also like Mossballs & a good coating of Algae in thier tanks.
Tougher, but slower growing plants like Anubias & Java ferns will probably get left alone.

Hope this helps

Jay
"Treatment when the treatment is worse than the disease kills fish"
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 13:50
Re: Advice on the start up of a Pearlscale tank #3
Pearlscales in a pond? Are we talking about the same type of pearlscale here, as in those little golfballs with fins that are so round they can barely swim? I'm surprised they are in a pond, how are they getting on?

They are more delicate than most fancies but other than that yeah they have the same requirements as other fancy goldfish- big tank and filter, decent diet with fresh veg, need to be kept with their own kind so they are not competing for food and prefer slightly warmer water than common goldies.

I agree with Jaywick on the stocking levels. And all the other stuff he put
Brakus86 Brakus86
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Carmarthenshire
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 15:31
Re: Advice on the start up of a Pearlscale tank #4
Yep the golfball, lol. They have a 6ft by 8ft pond with a few koi also, I think they must have about 7 pearlscales, all are about 5-7 inches. They've kept them in their pond for about 8 years now and they've never lost one, so I assume they're pretty happy in there. There's so much space in there they can just kinda glide around, so their shape doesn't really restrict them.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will definitely check out the plants, at the moment I only use moss balls (1-2 inch) and fern. I'm pretty restricted locally for plants, can you recommend a decent UK site? I know ebay sells these kinds of things but you never know what environment they're coming from.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 19:16
Re: Advice on the start up of a Pearlscale tank #5
Try www.plantsalive

Great website, fast delivery and everything I've ordered have come as big, lush specimens, especially the anubias tied to small pieces of bogwood (they don't like to be planted in substrate). The site also gives a pH tolerance for each plant. Handy if you know you own levels to ensure they will thrive.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 19:16
Re: Advice on the start up of a Pearlscale tank #6
Blimey - must admit I'm amazed pearlies are doing all right in a pond. Does it have a heater? I had pearlies at one point - never again! They were the most difficult to keep goldies I've ever known, diet was a nightmare with constant problems despite varying it and keeping them off certain foods, organ compaction problems (kidney failure finished one off), buoyancy issues and liver malfunction (that finished off another). To name but a few problems Suffice it to say, much as I love pearlies I'll never have any more. A few others one here have kept them but mostly with problems - what's your secret?
It's Not Just A Fish
Brakus86 Brakus86
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Carmarthenshire
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 19:27
Re: Advice on the start up of a Pearlscale tank #7
Yeah they have two heated ponds, but I think they only occasionally use the heater in the winter, only one pond with pearlscales though. I think the trick is ample space and varied diet, in the pond they have so much greenery and insects etc etc.

Well I've only ever kept one at a time, which is why I'd like all the advice I can get before setting up a tank just for them :) The one I have at the moment is a little sod to feed, she has to be fed pellets but I have to distract her tank mates (who have to be fed gel) first or they'll gobble it.. nightmare. But my thinking was.. if I have a tank of them alone then the feeding wouldn't be an issue, well at least I hope not :|

Thankyou for the link violet, I had a look around PetsAtHome and all the greeny looked a bit.. depressed, lol.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 19:30
Re: Advice on the start up of a Pearlscale tank #8
Er...wouldn't suggest you buy plants from P@H. Tank water is cycled to the plant tank and goodnees known how many cases of Ich I've seen on fish in there to be honest.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Andieu Andieu
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 19:50
Re: Advice on the start up of a Pearlscale tank #9
P@H plants can look a bit sad if they're not freshly stocked.
I've got lucky many times and got there when the plant tanks are full of plants and got some great plants from them.
Never had a problem with disease from them.
Guess it depends on which p@h as there's one store a little further away than my local one and there's no way I'd buy anything living from there-it's filthy and everything looks sick.
My goldies don't eat amazon swords too fast, so I have quite a few of them planted.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 19:58
Re: Advice on the start up of a Pearlscale tank #10
Forgot to say - hornwort, hornwort and more hornwort - marvellous plant Doesn't root so can be left to float or weighted in bunches, grows like the clappers (almost outdoes the goldies) and is nice and cheap
It's Not Just A Fish