burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/7/2005 18:33
Going to get a Marine Tank #1
Hello everybody.

Im buying an old marine setup from somebody it has lots of live rock (40kg) its 4ft long by 18 inches tall and 15 inches deep. it also has a nice selection of fish a goby a clown with an anenome yellow tang chromis and something called a boxer shrimp (i this a manta shrimp?) its got twin T5 white and a T8 actinic blue. it also has some mushroom polyps.

ill buy some small little hermit crabs and a few more tangs but what i want to know is about corals.

What corals/fungus/anenomes can sting. and what are nice ones.

also with anenomes. i know the can sting and paralyze fish but can they effect me.

also can you give me a rough price for an emperor tang, morish idol and a painted frogfish. obviouslly seprate not together.

also the boxer shrimps are they manta shrimps. my uncle accidentlly got one and i sure as hell no that i dont want one after what i did.

thanks for looking

burkey
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/7/2005 18:56
Re: Going to get a Marine Tank #2
I am not marine but found these for you to compare

you can see the boxer shrimp if you scrole down:

http://www.atlantisaquatics.co.uk/acatalog/Crabs_and_Shrimps.html

was your uncles manta shrimp like this one:

http://www.banfi.ch/Crustaceansgallery.htm
burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 23/7/2005 22:19
Re: Going to get a Marine Tank #3
yeah the manta shrimp in the second link was like the one he had and they are definatly unwanted.

Burkey
DavidTz DavidTz
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 24/7/2005 12:56
Re: Going to get a Marine Tank #4
Painted frogfish-anything, as they are practically impossible to get, or at least where i live
Your tank would definately be too small for the emporer, they require alot of space, and 4ft is much, much to small. The same applies to the moorish idol, they require alot of space, and are extremely hard to keep, one type of fish which looks basically identical is the High Fin Bannerfish, or whimplefish. Again the tank may be too small for the number of tangs you are considering, as they can become very aggressive in cramped tanks. The danger posed by anenomes varies widely, and you would have to research on the particular one you want. The best corals for beginners, (and that can be put in the tank in the first 6 months) are the mushroom corals, they are attractive, and grow well too. The type of corals you would like is completely up to you and your taste. One very nice one is the sun coral, but tend to die after 6 months or so, but most are safe in the tank, its best to go down to your shop and see, but good luck. Does the tank have a UV Steriliser?
burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 24/7/2005 17:26
Re: Going to get a Marine Tank #5
The emperor tang is a dwarf (the shop keeper said)and will only grow to half it usual size (how they can tell its a dwarf is another question though) they also had a dwarf frog fish going for £50.

the tank is actually taller than 1 quoted its a whole 2 feet (been shopping around and got confused) and does have uv lights as well as the ultra whites and ultra blue.

the anenome is a peachy brown colour which are slightly lighter at the tips.

and any links to sights explaining corals properly would be appreciated.

Thanks

burkey
burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 24/7/2005 17:27
Re: Going to get a Marine Tank #6
ive made another mistake its not an emperor tang but and emperor angel.

burkey
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/7/2005 18:22
Re: Going to get a Marine Tank #7
Dosen't look anything like an angel does it

see link and scrole down http://www.fishareus.co.uk/marine_fish.htm
DavidTz DavidTz
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 24/7/2005 20:10
Re: Going to get a Marine Tank #8
you could probably get away with keeping the emporer angel providing you have some experience, or alot of help on hand, as they require pristene water, and can be awkward to feed, the dwarf ones are much smaller. Although still sounds like your tank mey be cramped..
Here is a good website
www.PETEDUCATION.COM
burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 24/7/2005 21:23
Re: Going to get a Marine Tank #9
I do have a good deal of experience working at a shop with the fish although ive never actually owned marines.

I will proberbly take the yellow tang to the shop and let someone else buy it as if i can only have 1 without ights i would prefer a powder tang or a regal. also would stoke up with mini hermits to help clean and a few scooters.

I do know that a i need about 18 litres per 1.5 cm of ish with corals and will probarbly stay away from small fish such as dominos and humbugs.

burkey
DavidTz DavidTz
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 26/7/2005 15:54
Re: Going to get a Marine Tank #10
Do you know how mature the tank is, it must have been set up for a minimum of 6 Months for corals, about 3 months for the tangs. Also you do know that the tangs can be aggressive to eachother, depepnding on size etc (i'm bigger than you!!), you know what i mean. I've got one Regal tang in my tank, i added a Powder blue, and they fought, so i took it back and got a Lemon Butterfly, but good luck with your tank, ah and also the inches/litres for fish theory is not one worth listening to by the way, as 5 Percula Clowns, is supposedly equivilent to one Regal tang, but then the tang would produce double the waste as the 5 clowns would, so it is better to stick with smaller fish, 4 inches or below, and any bigger than that then to have a bit more consideration of how he would manage in your tank, but, good luck, let me know how it goes.