(1) 2 »
nith nith
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/1/2010 0:32
is RO really necessary for marines #1
I am just about to order my first marine tank(deciding between orca tl-550 and aqua one 200).
I have been keeping tropical fish for over a decade and have always used dechlorinated tap water for that. I also have a planted tank that I use RO water for the plants and discus (very sensitive)that I keep.

I intend to keep Fish with live rock only. My question is, Is it necessary to use RO for this? I have recently had a de-salination plant installed which I understand removes limescale and other minerals. Is this water suitable.

I only ask because I have a water meter at my house so buying an RO unit would cost a lot due to wastage and buying and transporting 5gallon containers of RO from my LFS is both costly and difficult because it is not so local.

Do I have to suck it up and do the trips or is ther an alternative?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Nith
spheon spheon
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 20/1/2010 9:06
Re: is RO really necessary for marines #2
Couple of points....why not get a TDS meter and measure the minerals on your draw off point - my main water is around 220 and about 7 after RO filtration.
Then test you draw off for nitrates/ph etc

Or...assuming you are in the UK 'water board' costs are very reasonable its pence and yes its around 1:1 waste but I collect 30-40% of mine for cleaning and general use such as car washing/mopping etc

Are you using the desalination from a well, ocean, river? Do you know its source and mineral level/quality pre-filtration?

not much help but some suggestions!
Spheon

Fluval Vicenza 260L/55Gal Marine with Aquaworld MT50 quarantine Nano tank
mattias mattias
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gwyedd
  • Posted on: 20/1/2010 9:09
Re: is RO really necessary for marines #3
My spontaneous reply would be YES, but as Spheon says: check your water supply before you decide.

My 2p...

Mattias
Howard Howard
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/1/2010 20:57
Re: is RO really necessary for marines #4
It's not just the minerals , TDS refers to total dissolved solids , these can be anything sand , copper , bits of poo even.

If you are never planning to keep inverts you MAY get away with it , but you'll do the bacteria in the LR no favours and it won't work at full efficiency.

If you are thinking of scrimping at this stage ( the initial setup ) then maybe you should think again about keeping marines. Nothing can be done cheaply really.

BTW RO units have a very high waste to product ratio , it is nothing like 1 to 1. More like at best 3 to 1 , worst case 5 to 1. Assuming you are talking about proper RO units and not 'water purification' units.
Original Image

Keep your friends close , but your anemones closer ....
nith nith
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From London
  • Posted on: 20/1/2010 22:36
Re: is RO really necessary for marines #5
Hi everyone, Thanks for the responses. The cost is not a factor at all it was more baulking at the effort of carrying the 5 gallon containers.

If I am getting a 200 litre aquarium I don't see the point in getting an RO unit installed as I will only be doing 20litres a week max and they output more than that in a day right? I object to the concept of wastage of water as well as the cost.

My LFS that sells RO is not close to me and I am not aware of any others. Also its gonna be a real back pain doing the initial fill up. With my single canister it would take me at least 7 trips possibly 6 accounting for displacement of the LR. That would be back breaking and very time consuming. I was just looking for alternatives as once the initial fill up is done I will manage fine with a single trip per week to get water.

Does anyone know of an RO delivery service for North London?

I definitely want inverts!
nith nith
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From London
  • Posted on: 30/1/2010 17:51
Re: is RO really necessary for marines #6
Hi I have had a better look and the machine I have installed is a water softener. I will test the water and return the resuts.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 30/1/2010 19:13
Re: is RO really necessary for marines #7
If you are anywhere near me, the only place I can think of is that there is an health food shop in Stoke Newington that delivers RO water for drinking purposes to homes and businesses. If you are reasonably local to them and are buying more than ?20 delivery is free, otherwise ?5, but as it's 20p per litre, you'd be spending ?40 on your initial fill.

http://www.motherearth-health.com/me_water.php

NB - I have no idea how they look after their RO membrane etc. I wouldn't buy it for fishkeeping without going in to chat to them, employing my own TDS meter on it etc. and making it clear that you would have to test and reject it if TDS unacceptable which I'm sure their drinking water customers don't do! so it may not be the solution ...
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers Caresheets
  • Posted on: 30/1/2010 19:35
Re: is RO really necessary for marines #8
Could you not get a couple more containers? My LFS sells really strong 25L containers with a screw top for ?7.50. I'll be buying a couple more next time I go.
nith nith
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From London
  • Posted on: 31/1/2010 20:06
Re: is RO really necessary for marines #9
Hi guys,
I have now bought a second RO canister so I now have 2 25litre canisters. It just wouldn't be practicle to buy any more as I would only need it for initial fill. How have other people with big tanks gotten over this issue or has everyone got their own RO units installed?

Looks like I will just have to do it the hard way of filling it up in 5 trips. Given that is 250 kgs of water to lug around I am gonna have to spread it over 2-3 days.
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers Caresheets
  • Posted on: 16/2/2010 0:06
Re: is RO really necessary for marines #10
How did the fill go? Done it yet? You often need a lot less than you think after adding sand, rocks, etc. I think mine took around 85 litres, with the other 45 litres being filled by LR, equipment, and sand.