« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 10:35
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #51
My last water change in the 180 tank, with the panda covered in strings of mucus, was Thursday. As of today, each and every strand has disappeared, and she looks perfect again ? although she is rapidly losing her black markings! :(

I think I was overdoing the Stress Coat. I only wanted to use it as a temporary measure to help heal my moor's split in her tail, it's regenerated as far as it'll go as it was one of the rays that got ripped when she was chased by my male fantail. It's not going to fully grow, but it's healed as well as it can and she is perfect.

I have changed my water conditioner back to Nurafin Aqua Plus. I will save the Stress Coat for future in case of any further superficial damage.

My 125 litre tank water quality is still perfect, and I have almost resumed normal feeding, so I am happy to say that my tank has now fully cycled :)

I would be interested to know of another fancy goldfish book recommendation too; I regard the J&H book as my bible, although as Jay says I do not fully agree with everything printed.
Juwel Rio 180 - female black moor & female panda moor
Fluval Roma 125 - male red fantail & female red cap oranda
Eheim 2213 classic canister filter on each tank
Miss Pennyapple Miss Pennyapple
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 10:45
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #52
Hi Rachy, glad your panda is back to normal now.

Interesting what you said about the slimecoat and it's appearance as tiny wee hairs - I meant to say this earlier to you, but over Christmas when my fish were obviously being attacked by parasites, my black moor developed these tiny little 'hairs' all over him. I couldn't figure out what it was, since I knew it couldn't be anchor worm, and couldn't find anything on the net to help. So I assumed it was slimecoat, and after a week or so of salt treatment he completely healed. It was so strange though - looked like he was growing a coat!!
165L AquaOne - 1 Blackmoor, 1 red telescope fantail, 1 white telescope, 1 panda moor

Tank upgrade on its way!
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 13:01
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #53
Quote:

Miss Pennyapple wrote:
Hi Rachy, glad your panda is back to normal now.

Interesting what you said about the slimecoat and it's appearance as tiny wee hairs - I meant to say this earlier to you, but over Christmas when my fish were obviously being attacked by parasites, my black moor developed these tiny little 'hairs' all over him. I couldn't figure out what it was, since I knew it couldn't be anchor worm, and couldn't find anything on the net to help. So I assumed it was slimecoat, and after a week or so of salt treatment he completely healed. It was so strange though - looked like he was growing a coat!!

Hey Laura,

Yeah Frances mentioned you'd spoke to her about a similar problem to mine, weird isn't it?

I wouldn't describe the marks on Gilly as 'hairs', they looked like really tiny worms all over her fins, scales, body, head, eyes etc, I described them to Frances as planaria worms! Some were stuck out, some were 'embedded' in her dorsal fin. Very strange.

After exhaustive research, I finally concluded they were strands of mucus caused by an irritation, and the only irritant I could think of was the extra Stress Coat I was adding - I could have actually overdosed as I was pouring out the doses using one of the API test tubes, so it was really guess work :S

Will never be guessing again as I now have a pipette to accurately measure out the correct dosage of water conditioner.

Has your moor recovered now from his 'hairs'?
Juwel Rio 180 - female black moor & female panda moor
Fluval Roma 125 - male red fantail & female red cap oranda
Eheim 2213 classic canister filter on each tank
Miss Pennyapple Miss Pennyapple
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 13:34
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #54
Yeah! It was like little worms! They looked like worms/hairs, and I spent ages looking so closely at him trying to figure out if it was a mystery worm! But as the others didn't have these I finally concluded too that it was slimecoat trails. They were on his eyes too! Yuck! All gone now though!
165L AquaOne - 1 Blackmoor, 1 red telescope fantail, 1 white telescope, 1 panda moor

Tank upgrade on its way!
Anna Robinson Anna Robinson
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 25/1/2010 10:57
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #55
Quote:

Jaywickrob wrote:
Thanks for the info Anna.

Is it possible to overdose Stresscoat?

I assume it's possible - for example, a fish couldn't survive long in a tank filled with pure Stress Coat! - but it's considered that accidental overdoses are not a problem (not that I am recommending dosing more than it says on the bottle, because I mustn't!).

I know (as I said once on here in another thread) that one of the API scientists who developed Stress Coat once briefly dipped a fancy goldfish in a bucket of PURE Stress Coat when lecturing to aquatic students, in order to prove that there were no problems caused by the product. The fish was looked at again the next day, and was in very good health.
Consultant, Mars Fishcare.Resized Image