« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/1/2010 23:11
Re: Advice on new tank #31
LOL I don't see why renting stops you getting a structural engineer round to lift the carpets etc. Again, Mrs Landlord wouldn't even know if you didn't tell her. I'd be tempted to fix an appointment and just be in that day.

The nails in the floorboards normally give an indication as to which way the joists run, can you can peel the coverings away and have a look perhaps without being too destructive.

I'm in an edwardian terrace with the original joists and timbers which are very sturdy and big/thick. Tanks is 180 litres on a ground floor and over some 5-6 years now the tank has very slighty dropped on the far right hand side to the tune of about 4mm, given spirit level. Keeping my eye on it but newer builds may be a bit more sensitive. If you can afford the outlay, given the potential calamity being 2 floors up, I would be tempted to get a report first TBH. Maybe thats just my OCD again though
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Anonymous  
Re: Advice on new tank #32
The argument with the cast iron bath has a slight flaw in that the bath is never full of water with a rugby player sat in it for 24 hours a day 365 days a year. The tank however is full of water that is constantly moving and weighing in excess of 60 stone standing in one place constantly thus exerting a constant pressure on that spot without any letup.

Also the total weight of bath, water and Rugby player is only 270Kilos (42 stone), 105 Kilos (16.5 stone)short of the total weight of your tank.
Jaywickrob Jaywickrob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 2:04
Re: Advice on new tank #33
The bath arguement is totally flawed if you want to get into a discussion about structural loadings, as the whole building has to be considered, not just the floor where the tank may sit.
It's impossible on a forum to assess whether or not a floor will withstand the load of a fish tank due to the limited information available.

As a builder I can only say that if the structure is sound there shouldn't be any problems. In my opinion it would be foolhardy not to advise consulting a structural engineer.

Jay
"Treatment when the treatment is worse than the disease kills fish"
Miss Pennyapple Miss Pennyapple
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 10:51
Re: Advice on new tank #34
Right, I've asked my dad if he knows any engineers who might be able to help advise. He's a retired town planner so should hopefully have some contacts!

I know it's impossible for this forum to advise 100% but I just wanted peoples thoughts on the matter. I remember there was an article on this very subject on the PFK forum but I didn't read it! Wish I had now!!

The other option is to get a slightly smaller tank to the 260L. I like the AquaOne 980 (215L) but not sure if this volume of water would make a huge differnce? But in theory, going by PFK stocking guidelines, it would be sufficient.
165L AquaOne - 1 Blackmoor, 1 red telescope fantail, 1 white telescope, 1 panda moor

Tank upgrade on its way!
Andieu Andieu
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 11:04
Re: Advice on new tank #35
Miss P,
Do you have room for 2 tanks?
If you do, you could get another one like you already have and split the fish between them. that way your fish will have loads of room, you'll not have to worry about the weight in one place, and it'll cost you less to buy too.
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 13:05
Re: Advice on new tank #36
Quote:

Andieu wrote:
Miss P,
Do you have room for 2 tanks?
If you do, you could get another one like you already have and split the fish between them. that way your fish will have loads of room, you'll not have to worry about the weight in one place, and it'll cost you less to buy too.

I was going to suggest exactly the same thing!! I know some people hate having 2 tanks, I disliked it at first as I wanted all my fish together, but now I LOVE it! The fish swim faster as they have more room, they own their tanks, it's great to watch.

If this idea is not for you, I'd agree once again with Jay and get someone in to check it out, that's if you can afford it.
Juwel Rio 180 - female black moor & female panda moor
Fluval Roma 125 - male red fantail & female red cap oranda
Eheim 2213 classic canister filter on each tank
Miss Pennyapple Miss Pennyapple
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 13:31
Re: Advice on new tank #37
Hmm, that's made me think actually. But, I don't really have the room for 2 tanks. Space is limited anyway which is why we're looking to move soon, plus I do want to have only 1 tank. There's the maintenance issue with 2 tanks which I want to avoid, plus, the babies have got really attached to the big fish now! It's too cute how they follow them about and I could't split them up!
165L AquaOne - 1 Blackmoor, 1 red telescope fantail, 1 white telescope, 1 panda moor

Tank upgrade on its way!
Andieu Andieu
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 13:49
Re: Advice on new tank #38
Well, In my opinion from when I had 2 tanks, the mainenance isn't any more. You've still got to do a water change ans a few extra buckets doesn't take long and I used to do the filters alternately each week, so on any given week I would still only be attending to one filter. You've still gotta wipe the glass but there will be more glass in a bigger tank.
The only real difference is floor space I think.
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 14:08
Re: Advice on new tank #39
Quote:

Miss Pennyapple wrote:
I don't really have the room for 2 tanks.

It's too cute how they follow them about and I could't split them up!

I felt exactly the same way Miss P, was gutted to split them all up. But, you'll find that the 2 fish follow each other around all the time, which I find is even cuter!

You'll also find that they grow quicker too, my fish are growing much better now they've been separated, and to think my little panda first got stuck up the filter pipe.... her head wouldn't fit up the pipe at all now, let alone her body!

And, I also said I didn't have room (well, the OH said it actually), but a bit of compromise & sofa rearranging, I now have 2 tanks that fit into my living room really well.

I love cleaning out my 2 tanks!! It's never a chore, and I see it as good exercise lol!

But, it's totally your call, you know how much space you have to play with, I'm just giving my opinion on having 2 large tanks. I don't even watch our 40 inch TV anymore, I just watch my fish!! :D
Juwel Rio 180 - female black moor & female panda moor
Fluval Roma 125 - male red fantail & female red cap oranda
Eheim 2213 classic canister filter on each tank
Jaywickrob Jaywickrob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 14:20
Re: Advice on new tank #40
Rachy,

What's a TV?