rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/1/2010 15:07
Fantails at the top of the tank #1
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone can shed some light on this for me - my 2 fantails have always spent a fair amount of time at the top of the tank.

Since I've moved them to their 125 litre home, their behaviour is still the same. They do come down to rummage in the gravel & nibble the plants, but how do I tell if they're just chasing the current at the surface thinking it's food, or if there's a lack of oxygen?

I have the filter outlet pipe positioned just above the water line pointing downwards, which creates a good amount of movement for aeration & surface agitation, therefore I see no need to use an air pump. There is more than adequate surface movement.

I sometimes see my female fantail maybe looks a bit 'floaty', which suggests she's swallowing air. Thay are both extremely active all the time, I've never seen them sitting still or clamping, apart from the day before my female drops eggs as she looks uncomfortable and sometimes floats in one corner, but other than that they're very healthy, great appetite etc.

Any ideas?
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 17/1/2010 15:23
Re: Fantails at the top of the tank #2
I'd add an air stone to the tank, and see if the fish are happier to go down towards the substrate then. If so, there's a problem with either water circulation or oxygen levels near the substrate.

How often do you clean the gravel?
T.L
Resized Image
Andieu Andieu
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 17/1/2010 16:00
Re: Fantails at the top of the tank #3
I agree. I'd add an airstone too. They don't cost very much, look quite pretty and it would eliminate the lack of oxygen option. I always have them in my tanks as they are in a warm lounge ans as I understand it, the warmed the water the more need for more air going through the water.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/1/2010 18:25
Re: Fantails at the top of the tank #4
Surface agitation is needed for gaseous exchange but the useful thing about airstones (or look at 'bubble curtains' on ebay - very pretty along the back of the tank ) is that they drag the old O2 depleted water from the bottom of the tank to the top to be replenished. I think all tanks should have one (or more) IMHO.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 17/1/2010 19:22
Re: Fantails at the top of the tank #5
Thanks guys.

I do have an airstone attached to an air pump in my moor's tank, but the flow is at an absolute minimum using a regulator as the fish were struggling to swim against the current.

Does this mean then that I've got to purchase another air pump? The one I have cost me ?50+ and can't really afford anything else for my tanks at the moment as I have money set aside for a 60+ litre quarantine/hospital tank.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 17/1/2010 19:29
Re: Fantails at the top of the tank #6
Quote:

TetraLinz wrote:
I'd add an air stone to the tank, and see if the fish are happier to go down towards the substrate then. If so, there's a problem with either water circulation or oxygen levels near the substrate.

How often do you clean the gravel?

Hi Tetralinz,

I vaccum the gravel very thoroughly with every water change, so while I've been cycling & water changing every 2-3 days, I've syphoned the gravel. I'll continue this way now my tank has stabled and change water once a week (hopefully!)
Andieu Andieu
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 17/1/2010 19:30
Re: Fantails at the top of the tank #7
Does the airpump have 2 outlets on it?
If it does then simply attach another tube to it and run it to the other tank.
I'm sure my tetratec air pump was nowhere near as expensive as that, so you could pick one up if necessary for MUCH less than ?50.
Jaywickrob Jaywickrob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 17/1/2010 19:36
Re: Fantails at the top of the tank #8
Rachy,

You could simply lower the water level in the tank a little so as the returning water drops into the tank to increase aeration.
"Treatment when the treatment is worse than the disease kills fish"
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 17/1/2010 19:41
Re: Fantails at the top of the tank #9
Quote:

Andieu wrote:
Does the airpump have 2 outlets on it?
If it does then simply attach another tube to it and run it to the other tank.
I'm sure my tetratec air pump was nowhere near as expensive as that, so you could pick one up if necessary for MUCH less than ?50.

Heres the link to the manual of the pump I have (mine's the Optima one): http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/MaximaOptima_LeafletUL_USA.pdf

I think it's just got the one outlet. Cost me ?54 if I remember correctly.

Which pump did you get?
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 17/1/2010 19:50
Re: Fantails at the top of the tank #10
Ohhh! Just read that manual and it seems I can split the air line I have and add in a multiple-valve device to add more air stones! A trip to the lfs after work tomorrow me thinks!