rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/1/2010 9:51
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #41
Got some good news!

I tested the water last night before bed, there was still the ammonia but the nitrATEs had increased from 5 to 10.

This morning, the readings are:

pH 7.6
ammonia 0
nitrITE 0
nitrATE 10

I left the tank completely alone, changing no water at all, and it's sorted itself out!

I may have now ruined it by dropping a couple of pellets in, but am only feeding them in the morning now and only 2 or 3 tiny pellets each. Is this ok, or should I cease feeding until the readings become stable?

Either way, I am a very happy bunny this morning! :D Thanks for your help. Should I still get the Prime?
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 16/1/2010 10:06
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #42
That's good

I always like to have Prime on hand for emergencies e.g. filter failure, use in a quarantine tank etc. and I think that if fishkeepers have the cash it is one of the things they should have in their box of tricks as it is not somethng you can necessarily rush out and buy when you need it.

(Also at the very low dose it is a standard dechlorinator and I use it for this, but I have big tanks, otherwise it can be a fiddle to measure).
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 16/1/2010 10:27
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #43
Good news indeed I would carry on feeding them, you're going to have to up the feeding to proper rations at some point so I'd start building up to that as soon as you are happy the tank is settled.
It's Not Just A Fish
Miss Pennyapple Miss Pennyapple
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 16/1/2010 10:30
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #44
Hi Rachy, good news! :)

If it were me, I would resume normal feeding again - but start slowly. Feed once a day a normal size meal, or twice a day 2 smaller meals to allow the filter to adjust. A few pellets isn't much food really for your fishes, and you will have to start feeding a proper meal to them again soon. How long have the fish been on rations?
Francesvdm Francesvdm
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 16/1/2010 11:17
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #45
Hi Rachel,
I can imagine you are a happy bunny!!! I use Prime as a standard dechlorinator because my tap water is awful. The doses are tiny (0.5ml per bucket) so I use a syringe calibrated to millilitres and it works well.
I too would start feeding and monitor after a feed what you water paramaters are. As Miss P says start increasing it slowly to their normal food. I think your filter will cope better than you think.
Andieu Andieu
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 16/1/2010 16:54
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #46
Rachel, that's fantastic news! Keep an eye on the perameters fro the next few days but it sounds like your filter is doing what it's supposed to do. I'm so pleased for you.
I'd up the feeding slightly and over the next few days get the fish up to what they should normally be eating.
Your filter is more than adequate for the tank so it should cope fine with a normal feeding regime.
What a good start to the weekend.
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 16/1/2010 18:45
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #47
Thanks guys, I could have probably been cycled weeks ago!! Wish I'd posted on here sooner, FK is a saviour! Params are still good, I've fed a small amount of bloodworm in addition to this mornings small feed, am now going out so will test water tomorrow.

Miss P, I've only been rationing the feeds for the last few days, so will just very slowly build it back up and keep water testing.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 16/1/2010 23:33
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #48
Chuffed to bits for you Rachy

Hopefully, you can put the buckets away for a week now. You must have been sick of the sight of them lol

That darned ol' semi cycling hey? Glad the feedback here helped. My ammonia stayed annoyingly at 0.25 for the last stretch too grrr
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Anna Robinson Anna Robinson
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 18/1/2010 23:57
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #49
I'm glad the thread had a happy ending

Just posting to say:

Quote:

Jaywickrob wrote:
Stress Coat encourages slimecoat production which in turn assists with healing by protecting the wound.

That's basically true, but Stress Coat doesn't actually stimulate natural slime coat production, it contains a polymer which is attracted to, and coats, exposed skin on fish. There won't be slime coat irritation from Stress Coat, so no need to worry about that.

The discussion on tank sizes for goldfish is an interesting one; all I'll say is, if you think it's difficult to come up with a response here, you should see the queries I get from members of the public asking why they are having problems with their 3 goldfish in their 8 litre tank! And no, that's not a typo. See, you guys have it easy on here
Consultant, Mars Fishcare.Resized Image
Jaywickrob Jaywickrob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 2:07
Re: A few fancy goldfish queries #50
Thanks for the info Anna.

Is it possible to overdose Stresscoat?
"Treatment when the treatment is worse than the disease kills fish"