mikesnail mikesnail
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/12/2009 9:32
Live Rock - Soft/Crumbling patches #1
Hey,

I have a few pieces of live rock in my tank, but one of them seems to have a few area's on it which look like its crumbling, and silting ( if thats the right word ). The crumbled area's move back and fourth with the water flow etc.

Is this normal, or is this something i should be concerned about? One patch seems to have had its 'crumbling' layer removed and where that once was is normal rock again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike.
mikesnail mikesnail
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 16/12/2009 8:16
Re: Live Rock - Soft/Crumbling patches #2
In the aid of reference for anyone else that has noticed this, i have noticed that these 'soft' spots always appear where algea of some form (cyan string like algae mainly) once was.
I have a feeling that it is causes when crabs or shrimp pull it up, or it dies ( not sure which! ).

Mike.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 17/12/2009 16:02
Re: Live Rock - Soft/Crumbling patches #3
What's the PH, KH and Ca? in fact, what are the full water parameters of the tank? It sounds almost like the rock is dissolving which shouldn't normally happen - although there will be some degradation of surface rock over time.
mikesnail mikesnail
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 17/12/2009 17:55
Re: Live Rock - Soft/Crumbling patches #4
Last time i checked my water parameters ( a couple of days ago) they were :

PH : 8.0 - 8.2
Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates : 0

I dont have test kits to check for anything else :/

Mike.
spheon spheon
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 10/1/2010 17:30
Re: Live Rock - Soft/Crumbling patches #5
you need to check Ca and KH really...do you have any crabs?

Some small critters that I had join me with the live rock (hairy crabs especially) love chomping on my LR...it hasn't been too bad but the one did make a chunk fall off...in my opinion I am happy with this as I can always add another LR piece in a years time etc and I do enjoy watching the little critters...

if your calcium is low then it will effect your LR and as Eagle said could dissolve or be far more easily damaged by the algae and crabs etc..

Get the parameters right and enjoy but my approach is that LR/reef in its natural environment changes and I welcome that in my tank :)
Spheon

Fluval Vicenza 260L/55Gal Marine with Aquaworld MT50 quarantine Nano tank
mikesnail mikesnail
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 10/1/2010 17:38
Re: Live Rock - Soft/Crumbling patches #6
I have not checked Ca or KH, I do however have two hermit crabs and I think one other crab from my LR which i have yet to see ( i have only seen a crab claw from it ).

One thing i have noticed recently is that the 'crumbly' area appeared wherever some form of leafy algae once was. So my current guess is its where the crabs or snails have pulled that up. Since my first post, the initial soft area's appear to have hardened so i think it is fine, and just how my environment will change over time.

Thanks for your help!