« 1 (2)
shazbah shazbah
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/7/2005 16:45
Re: whats going on in my pond??? #11
I have a shelf full of marginals 2 lillies a waterfall and 2 airstones. I have put a large patio umbrella up and so far all seems ok
shazbah shazbah
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 13/7/2005 17:04
Re: whats going on in my pond??? #12
sorry forgot to add that there is no algae only a small amount on the sides and any string algae i get on the waterfall i remove it straight away. The uv seems to be doing a good job.
Whilst i have your atention is there anyone ouy there who can tell me why some fish get very bloated??? I lost one,my mum had a big white bloated one and thats died my sister has one to. They seem to think that they are expecting but there not as they are like it all year round. Any ideas?????
captk captk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Posted on: 13/7/2005 21:57
Re: whats going on in my pond??? #13
A very bloated fish with scales sticking out has dropsy and it is a terminal sign of internal bacterial infection. When fish is stressed, they get sick easily. Getting infections is one common problem. Check your water quality first and foremost.

If just the belly is bloated, it could be eggbound which turns into egg impaction and sometimes, that can be fatal.
I know enough to know that I don't know enough
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/7/2005 22:02
Re: whats going on in my pond??? #14
Did reply to this earlier but seemed to have lost it so to save me trying to remember what I had written, I have copied this from this months PFK instead as it gives a good discription

Bloating and dropsy

Causes: Various. An internal bacterial infection is often to blame. Other causes include an internal tumor or failure of the kidneys or other organs involved in fluid balance. Bloating in goldfish and koi is sometimes due to an abnormal swelling of the kidneys (known as kidney bloat or polycystic kidney) An internal infection with microscopic hoferellus parasites is one cause.

Symtoms:The body, particularly the belly swells up. In dropsy swelling is accompanied by scale and sometimes eye protrusion. With kidney bloat the swelling may displace the swimbladder leading to buoyancy problems. Often fatal.

Treatment for drospy, antibiotics may work in some cases. In bloating, the common underlying causes are incurable. Badly affected fish should be humainly put down.
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 13/7/2005 23:06
Re: whats going on in my pond??? #15
How old is the pond and or the water? Do you do water changes, if so do you dechlorinate the water? BTW I am not suggesting to do do routine water changes, just asking.
For ailments you might like to browse http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/index.htm
boroughmal boroughmal
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From wicklow ireland
  • Posted on: 15/7/2005 22:32
Re: whats going on in my pond??? #16
Pond fish dont do well in a pH of 8
This needs to be dropped too. The higher the pH the lower the fish resistance to desease P.H should be measured first thing in the morning & should be 7 to 7.2 for your fish
Regards
www.fishkeepingsupplies.com
Aquarium and Fish Supply Tropical