mikesnail mikesnail
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/11/2009 10:23
Help identifying some 'Things' on my liverock #1
Hey All,

I have been eagerly watching the attached two things (they are the only things i have found on the live rock that appear to react to anything ).
I have no idea what they are though, so if anyone has any idea's it would be great to hear them.

I have uploaded a couple of video's to youtube as well, being as the images are quite blurry.

Appologies if this is ridiculously obvious or simple, but being a newcomer to the hobby everything is exciting and i dont even have any fish/shrimp yet :)

Thanks

Mike.

YouTube links:

Video 1

Video 2
Harps Harps
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 18/11/2009 12:28
Re: Help identifying some 'Things' on my liverock #2
Hi Mike,

I can't really make out Video 1, but Video 2 is certainly a little tube worm. They are perfectly friendly filter feeders and I would imagine that you will see a lot more over time!

Good Luck!

Harps
Howard Howard
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/11/2009 14:42
Re: Help identifying some 'Things' on my liverock #3
Can't see anything in video one , other than the macro species Liveus Rockus ....
Resized Image

Keep your friends close , but your anemones closer ....
mikesnail mikesnail
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 19/11/2009 13:55
Re: Help identifying some 'Things' on my liverock #4
Thanks for all the help! I will try to take some better images/footage of the one still to be identified, though its quite shy especially when compared to the tube worm.

I have also noticed in the last day or two quite a few little white stumps with a bowl (radar dish) like top. Whatever they are they seem to be thriving so i will try to photograph a few of those this evening, especially as they dont move/hide at all.
mikesnail mikesnail
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 20/11/2009 10:22
Re: Help identifying some 'Things' on my liverock #5
Harps, i think you were right, i have seen a lot more! Yesterday i put some 'filter start' into the tank, and within about an hour the worm in the attached image appeared.

He tends to appear from one hole and suck around the surrounding rock, then go back in and come out of another hole and do the same. He is not very shy either making it nice and easy to watch him!

Not sure if it was the Filter Start chemicals which triggered him to come out ( which if it is, i hope its because he enjoys it and not that its irritating him! ), or whether it was just coincidence.

Who needs fish when you have such interesting critters in the rocks!

Attach file:

jpg  (263.71 KB)
10292_4b066dc236f1a.jpg 1000X667 px
kieranLocke kieranLocke
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 20/11/2009 10:32
Re: Help identifying some 'Things' on my liverock #6
that is a bristleworm. a beneficial scavenger. quite a big one to.
Kieran
mikesnail mikesnail
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 20/11/2009 12:08
Re: Help identifying some 'Things' on my liverock #7
I have suprised myself in terms of just how long i can sit there starring at a tank with some rocks in :)

I did make the mistake of leaving the lights on for the first three days though, which has resulted in a slight brownish algae appearing on the top of some of the sand. Not sure how detremental that is, but the lights will remain off now until the tank is ready for a cleanup crew. Hopefully they will get to work fairly quickly once they are in (though that might not be for a while!).