It sounds like the 2nd Bacteria stage is not sufficient as yet to convert the nitrite to nitrate. The 1st stage which i assume is working converts ammonia to nitrite, so guessing your not showing much as regards ammonia on a test. Likewise the 2nd stage bacteria converts the nitrite to nitrate, so guessing your not showing to much nitrate on tests either.
So it must be the 2nd stage bacteria not fully developed.
Just to clarify these 2 stages ( i can never remember the technical terms for the bacteria)
The 1st stage bacteria can develop very quickly but the 2nd stage is slow in catching up but it will get there. (Think this is the basis of 'New Pond Syndrome')
If possible move most of the fish elswhere until this cycle catches up, maybe just leave a couple of fish in there just to keep the cycle ticking over. Nitrite level will eventually drop.
As Fred says probably best to stop feeding them for a few days (slow the 1st stage down), they will survive.
I would definitley agree about the test strips, as usefull as a choclate teaspoon.
Forgot to mention, maybe something like 'Stress Zyme' will help as well. Although not quite as the name suggests as it is more of a bacteria boost agent, so i guess what they mean is cleaner water = less stress.
Sorry didn't post full results, but yes, you are right to assume that Ammonia and Nitrate are both zero. PH is 8.2.
I'm unable to move the fish elsewhere, so will monitor on a daily basis and carry out water changes as necessary.
I'm only feeding a tiny amount every couple of days. Water temp is down to 14C now, so they don't want a great amount anyway.
I double checked the test strips and noticed the scale. At the point they get even the slightest hint of colour there will be 10mg/l and a very light hue of purple 25g/l. Useless. The water would be highly toxic (as mine was) before you had a chance to notice - lesson learned in that respect.
Bazzer wrote: I would definitley agree about the test strips, as usefull as a choclate teaspoon.
But not as tasty.
Is there a date on that pack of strips? My guess is they've been sitting around too long. Not that I recommend you go out and buy a new batch. The only thing they're good for is to make frequent, but not very accurate, measurements. But if you're concerned enough about something to check it often, a test that might be sortof accurate now then isn't going to cut it.