« 1 (2) 3 »
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 11/9/2009 16:24
Re: New pond syndrome! #11
Are you still feeding your fish? If so then stop, the more you feed them the higher it will go.

Also have you tested for Ammonia?
BigKev BigKev
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/9/2009 16:16
Re: New pond syndrome! #12
I noticed a couple of the fish were gaping at the surface this morning and knowing that to be a sign of Nitrite poisoning, I done another test.

The test strips were fine. The tablet test was off the scale again.

Went to LFS and bought a brand new Blagdon test kit and the Nitrite is indeed off the scale.

Doing a 90% water change now. I normally use Interpet Fresh Start, but incase it isn't working properly and is allowing the chlorine to kill the bacteria I have bought a different brand.

What is the best filter primer? I've been using an Interpet one, maybe that's no good.

So many variables here!
BigKev BigKev
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 16/9/2009 16:23
Re: New pond syndrome! #13
Fred - you say to stop feeding.

My pond is a formal pond with no weed or algae. How long could fish go between feeds under these circumstances?
BigKev BigKev
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 20/9/2009 13:09
Re: New pond syndrome! #14
I don't get it!

It took three 90% water changes to get the level of Nitrite down to .15mg/l and now three days later it's back up to .5mg/l

What can be causing this?
Bazzer Bazzer
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 20/9/2009 22:54
Re: New pond syndrome! #15
It sounds like the 2nd Bacteria stage is not sufficient as yet to convert the nitrite to nitrate.
The 1st stage which i assume is working converts ammonia to nitrite, so guessing your not showing much as regards ammonia on a test.
Likewise the 2nd stage bacteria converts the nitrite to nitrate, so guessing your not showing to much nitrate on tests either.

So it must be the 2nd stage bacteria not fully developed.

Just to clarify these 2 stages ( i can never remember the technical terms for the bacteria)

The 1st stage bacteria can develop very quickly but the 2nd stage is slow in catching up but it will get there.
(Think this is the basis of 'New Pond Syndrome')

If possible move most of the fish elswhere until this cycle catches up, maybe just leave a couple of fish in there just to keep the cycle ticking over.
Nitrite level will eventually drop.

As Fred says probably best to stop feeding them for a few days (slow the 1st stage down), they will survive.

I would definitley agree about the test strips, as usefull as a choclate teaspoon.
Bazzer Bazzer
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 20/9/2009 23:20
Re: New pond syndrome! #16
Forgot to mention, maybe something like 'Stress Zyme' will help as well.
Although not quite as the name suggests as it is more of a bacteria boost agent, so i guess what they mean is cleaner water = less stress.
BigKev BigKev
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 22/9/2009 9:59
Re: New pond syndrome! #17
Sorry didn't post full results, but yes, you are right to assume that Ammonia and Nitrate are both zero. PH is 8.2.

I'm unable to move the fish elsewhere, so will monitor on a daily basis and carry out water changes as necessary.

I'm only feeding a tiny amount every couple of days. Water temp is down to 14C now, so they don't want a great amount anyway.

I double checked the test strips and noticed the scale. At the point they get even the slightest hint of colour there will be 10mg/l and a very light hue of purple 25g/l. Useless. The water would be highly toxic (as mine was) before you had a chance to notice - lesson learned in that respect.
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 26/9/2009 13:49
Re: New pond syndrome! #18
Quote:

Bazzer wrote:
I would definitley agree about the test strips, as usefull as a choclate teaspoon.

But not as tasty.

Is there a date on that pack of strips? My guess is they've been sitting around too long. Not that I recommend you go out and buy a new batch. The only thing they're good for is to make frequent, but not very accurate, measurements. But if you're concerned enough about something to check it often, a test that might be sortof accurate now then isn't going to cut it.
Mitchofmedway Mitchofmedway
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 26/9/2009 18:23
Re: New pond syndrome! #19
Keep us informed, I for one am learning from this thread :)
Resized Image
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 2/10/2009 21:21
Re: New pond syndrome! #20
Hey Kev,

Sorry for delay, whats the nitrite now?

How many fish have you got in there?

Theres defintly nothing rotting in the pond?