rubadub rubadub
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/9/2009 21:48
Winter time plans #1
Hi,

As I am still new to fish and ponds I have been trying to read up here on what to do in the pond over winter. Various web sites give a load of conflicting advice, but the advice here on Fk does seem to be more consistent. I am still building parts of the pond so now would be a good time to incorporate anything that might help during winter.

Cover: I gather a lot of vegetation will die off so I need to give the fish more cover and places to hide?

Pump and filter: A lot of people here suggest you can leave them running them all winter (with the filter raised a little to leave the lower water stable). In a severe frost should the pump be turned off, and how long can it be left off before all the carefully cycled bacteria in the filter start to die off?

At lower than about 10?C the fish need less or no food. Does this affect the ammonia->nitrite->nitrate cycle as there will be less (or no?) fish waste?

Is it a daft luxury to have the pond heated at all (My pond is ~850 litres with goldfish and shubunkin)?

Does anyone have any other hints or tips for winter time?

Most of these questions have been prompted by old messages in this forum, sorry if you think I am going over old ground here.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 11/9/2009 16:35
Re: Winter time plans #2
Hey rubadub

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

1. The fish will require no hiding places in the winter, when it gets every cold they will just sit on bottom.

2. If you can raise the pump or no less than a foott from the surface, if not move to the side of the pond rather than in the middle.

3. In the winter the fish will excrete very little ammoninoa, also the bacteria will start to die off anyway due to the temperature. So you dont need to worry about the the bacteria, but i would still recommond the pump being on as when it does start to warm up theres no rush or worry about the bacteria, by leaving it on it will allow the bacteria to naturaly start.

4. Its very daft to heat a pond in my opinion, even if i was a millionaire i still wouldnt heat my pond. Instead if you can make a cover made from wish bubblewrap it will keep the temperature warm enough without a huge electrical bill.

In terms of other tips, try and provide doing any work in the pond, the last thing you want to do is disturb the fish.

rubadub rubadub
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 13/9/2009 16:30
Re: Winter time plans #3
Hi,

Don't apologize for any delay, thank you for replying!

I'm glad you don't think much of the heating the pool idea, it sounds expensive to me!

I've now got a floating thermometer so I can keep an eye on when to stop feeding them etc, it currently reads 15 degrees C

Thanks again for your advice,
Iain_clark Iain_clark
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 15/9/2009 22:05
Re: Winter time plans #4
rubadub,
I agree with most of the points that Fredrick has made, the only area where we differ is that I have my pump on a timer. In the Winter Months when the fish aren't feeding the pump just comes on for 15 mins every four hours (I use a manual timer where each little 'tab' is 15 min duration and you can set as many on's and off's as you want), this reduces electric bills, reduces wear on the pump but still cycles water through the filters regularly. I also turn off UV's etc.

When the temperature is very cold I run the pump constantly to stop the pond from completely icing over.

Hope this helps

Iain
rubadub rubadub
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 16/9/2009 19:35
Re: Winter time plans #5
The pond is fairly new but there doesn't seem to be much I need to do to specially design it for winter, so I will just finish off the surrounding wall (it is a raised pond) to try and give it some thermal insulation before it gets cold.

Thanks for all the advice, it is appreciated. I just hope one day I know enough to help out on all of the other questions raised here
BigKev BigKev
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 22/9/2009 10:41
Re: Winter time plans #6
For a raised pond with brick surround, I find that expanding gap filler foam makes an excellent insulator. Simply drill a couple of holes spray it in and fill the holes of you so wish.

It will also aid the support of the less rigid type ponds too.
Mitchofmedway Mitchofmedway
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 26/9/2009 18:32
Re: Winter time plans #7
I'm going through a second spring here in Kent!! Loads of growth on the plants and fish very active again.

I've planned to keep one of my pumps running through the filter, but if you do this ensure any hose or fittings are insulated.
Resized Image
rubadub rubadub
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 30/9/2009 16:52
Re: Winter time plans #8
Thanks BigKev, I have already taken your advice and used expanding foam to insulate parts of the gaps between wall and pond. It doesn't half make a mess, but thankfully its all hidden by the wall

And Mitchofmedway I have had a similar active spell in the pond too. The fish are thriving (apart from one that is starting to have black smudges along its flanks and rear) and the blanket weed has been growing like topsy. I hadn't thought of insulating the pipes doh!. Thats such an obvious thing to do, thanks.