« 1 (2)
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/5/2009 13:30
Re: Mystery thing attached to my WCMM #11
Yes Nitrate above 40ppm is a problem. I'd do a careful 50% water change now and then about 25% each day until your nitrate is down close to the same as the tap water.
Once it's there see if you can keep nitrate down with just a single 20% per week water change.

As for stocking levels, I have to say that none of us here believe a biorb 30 is anything other than a deathtrap for fish. It's simply not big enough to provide the stability and security a fish needs.
However, technically speaking you could fit maybe 8" of small fish assuming : Adult length, slim bodies, omnivores, hardy and midwater swimmers.

This gives you room for 4 minnows. They should be kept in shoals of 6 or more though...
mr_mop mr_mop
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Berkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/6/2009 8:08
Re: Mystery thing attached to my WCMM #12
Just a quick update.
Got the nitrate down to something closer to tap water. Will try another few changes to get it right down.
Rotating a variety of foods which seem to be popular.
The thing whatever it was seems to have gone, so it seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the advice.
coraldreamer coraldreamer
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Buckinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/8/2009 21:31
Re: Mystery thing attached to my WCMM #13
Hi,

What size is this thing? To me it looks like Argulus (fish lice) Try lifting it by easing the tip of a scalpel/hobby knife under the edge, making sure not to damage the fish of course

If it lifts and moves, it is Argulus...and you have a problem if there are numbers of them. Difficult to treat because of restrictions on medications.

If there are only a few, remove by hand and monitor frequently for new young emerging.

Good luck,

Dave.