Kater Kater
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cornwall
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/8/2009 11:18
Lots of baby fish #1
We started with five Koi/shubunkin type fish about four months ago in a smallish preformed pond , about 5ft x 4ft and quite deep . We tried to do everything right, let the water stand , loads of marginals and oxygenating plants, UV filter with pump , the fish seemed to be very happy, extremely happy because they have been breeding non stop since we had them ! As expected, many eggs were eaten but we are told that its very unusual to have retained the number of fry that we have done . We currently have about 20 or so beautifully coloured young fish, some about an inch and a half long , only a few are bronze and there are also many small fry in there from more recent activities !We have just bought another pond, twice the size, to house the youngsters and hope to site so that we have a flow from the big one into the smaller one . Is it common to retain so many young fish in the same pond as the adults ? Problems of course is that its going to happen again !! Our local water garden centre isnt interested in taking any fish , we dont even want any money for them so will most likely advertise in our local paper if this keeps happening !
Lynda Lynda
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Buckinghamshire
  • Posted on: 11/8/2009 12:18
Re: Lots of baby fish #2
I would say that you have given your baby fish lots of places to hide and so let more of them live.
gazza67 gazza67
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 11/8/2009 17:17
Re: Lots of baby fish #3
I've got 10 shubunkins and they've bred and i'd say i've got at the very least 20 babies in my pond (approx 5000 litres) and i'm guessing it's a fair bit more than that.
Kater Kater
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cornwall
  • Posted on: 11/8/2009 17:31
Re: Lots of baby fish #4
Well i just hope we can rehome some otherwise our garden is in grave danger of becomming one huge water world .I seriously thought that maybe one or two would survive , not 20-30 from 5 fish ! Lots of froglets too .