« 1 (2)
Bonster Bonster
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/8/2009 19:27
Re: Hair Algae in Pond! #11
Cheers for that i have been on the website already and will order one in a bit.

Just a quick query i do not have any blanket weed just a thick furry covering on the sides of the pond (the full depth and bottom) is this the beginning of blanket weed or is this just general algae growth i will always get?

i do have the odd bit of stuff that looks like hair so again is the the beginning or blanket weed?

I am due to get a new UV bulb in a month or so as well, do think it would be worth getting one and seeing if this may make a difference?

sorry for all the questions i have never had a pond with so many problems as my first one was problem free from the beginning
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 4/8/2009 11:33
Re: Hair Algae in Pond! #12
Quote:

Just a quick query i do not have any blanket weed just a thick furry covering on the sides of the pond (the full depth and bottom) is this the beginning of blanket weed or is this just general algae growth i will always get?

i do have the odd bit of stuff that looks like hair so again is the the beginning or blanket weed?

If it looks like hair or filter floss, it's probably blanket weed.

Quote:
I am due to get a new UV bulb in a month or so as well, do think it would be worth getting one and seeing if this may make a difference?

The UV won't do anything for attached algae except eliminate the competition. It only kills cells that actually go through the clarifier. If your water isn't green, save your money and replace the bulb on schedule. The UV will kill some blanketweed spores, but you could completely sterilize the pond, and if conditions were right for algae, it would colonize your pond from the air very quickly.

How is your current setup different from the trouble-free pond you had before?
Bonster Bonster
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 4/8/2009 21:06
Re: Hair Algae in Pond! #13
cheers for the reply.

the set up is exactly the same just built a bigger pond and in a different position - more sunny spot!

thank you for the advice, i think i will get some of that blanket weed treatment and start it at the weekend when i can keep an eye on it.

thanks for confirming that it was defiantly blanket weed.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 5/8/2009 21:41
Re: Hair Algae in Pond! #14
Otter,

The best device ive found is the xterminator, there is a web site for it, but its got a silly web address.

Appenetly very good but a little awkard as you have to test the water etc. so theres more to it
MIGHTYFINN MIGHTYFINN
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 11/8/2009 7:36
Re: Hair Algae in Pond! #15
hi
i got rid of all my blanket weed with some treatment plus a lot of scooping out with a net. I added a few more air stones to my air pump which pushes all the weed out and makes it easier to find and scoop up. I only have the odd bit now and again.I have also added a few bails of barley straw too.I have heard that you can use lavender bails too!!. If anyone knows if the lavender is ok i would like to hear about it. I would use the lavender from my garden as apposed to paying silly money for barley straw.Having lots of oxygen in the water seems to have reduced the algae growth, although its still there its made it very managable to remove by hand. On hot days i put a shade over part of the pond and this keeps down the growth too!!
hope this is of help
cheers
MIGHTYFINNMIGHTYFINN
MIGHTYFINN MIGHTYFINN
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 11/8/2009 7:41
Re: Hair Algae in Pond! #16
blanket weed floats on top of the water doesnt it?? Its round and light green as opposed to algae which doea not really float but clings to anything from the bottom to the top of the pond in long strands and is dark green.
cheers
MIGHTYFINNMIGHTYFINN
Bonster Bonster
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 12/8/2009 11:50
Re: Hair Algae in Pond! #17
This is exactly like the stuff i have very very dark green with really thin strands coming off it.

I scrapped a lot off the sides at the weekend and this seems a little better, just waiting for my treatment to arrive now to get things started.

Is there a particular fish that eats algue or not?
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 13/8/2009 10:58
Re: Hair Algae in Pond! #18
Mightyfin,

Are you thinking of duckweed? Thats round and light green in colour and is quite small?