Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 15/7/2009 16:05
Thinking about upgrading... #1
Hi

I have had a small freshwater tropical community tank (60 litres) for about four years now and have really got into fishkeeping as a hobby. I would really like to buy a bigger tank, mainly so that the community of fish I currently have can have a bit more space but also so that I can get a few more to add to the tribe.

So my questions are...

What make of tank would people recommend? I'm thinking of upgrading to a around 180 litres maybe more.

Also.. how do you go about setting up the new tank and then adding the fish from my old tank? Should I do fishless cycling to get the tank ready and then add them a few at a time? I'm really worried about stressing the fish out!

Many thanks for all your help - your advice has been invaluable in the past.

Sarah
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 15/7/2009 17:59
Re: Thinking about upgrading... #2
Hi Fizzi.

Could you give us a list of the current inhabitants of the tank?

As you already have fish, there's no need to carry out a full fishless cycle when/if you get a bigger tank, simply move everything, including the fish and as much of their water as you can, over to the new tank. If possibe, put the current, cycled media into the new filter. If this is impossible, move the old filter across to the new tank and keep an eye on water quality for a few days. Don't buy any additional fish for around a month or so, and quarantine all new additions in a separate tank for a minimum of 1 month (2 is better).

The make/model of the tank itself is really up to your personal preference, but for filters, I find the Eheim range are the best.
T.L
Resized Image
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2009 18:14
Re: Thinking about upgrading... #3
Hi again,

I have 5 cardinal tetras, 1 pearl gourami and two clown loaches.

I bought the clown loaches a couple of years ago before I knew as much as I do now and I now realise that they need much more space which is why I want a bigger tank. They have grown by at least an inch in the last couple of years! Then I also hope to get a couple more so that they can be in a bigger group.

I have never quarantined before - is it quite straightforward? Should you buy a special quanrantine system? How do you keep the water up to scratch if there are no fish in it (sorry if that is a daft question)?

Also, is it easy to fit a UV steriliser? I have just been reading the thread about clown loaches and meds and am really worried about that. I will certainly quarantine from now on but want to be doubly sure that I am doing the best by the fish!

Many thanks

Sarah
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 15/7/2009 18:34
Re: Thinking about upgrading... #4
Most people quaranteen by having a basic cheap tank, clearseal are ideal which can be stored dry when not in use. It only needs some basic cover, silk plants are fine and can be used again and again and a dark background to reduce stress. A filter and heater and thermometer. When setting up, you can pinch some of the media from the existing tank once you've filled with water and plug in. I use 50% tank water from my big tank, 50% dechlorinated fresh and leave the heater to come up to temp for 24 hours. The filter bacteria is kept alive until you add your new fish by either adding liquid ammonia or fish food. You will need Ammonia, Nirtrite and Nitrate readings just as when testing the other tank. Most quaranteen for a minimum of 4 weeks but some longer, 6-8 weeks to be safe. There is nothing more soul destroying than bringing disease into a healthy tank which could wipe out all your stock.

Size will depend on what you hope to stock, 40 litres is acceptable for tetras (I assume you will buy in groups of 5, which is the norm) but upsizing will be required if you are buying bigger fish.

I can't advise on UV I'm afraid but Linz set one up last year I think so she should be able to advise more.

The clowns are very gregarious and highly sociable. Ideally they should be kept in a minimum of 5 but this would mean a tank of at least double the 180L. The caridinals will behave much more naturally in groups of 10 or more (20+ look amazing)

Edit// A QT is also very useful if you need an emergency hospital tank for any reason
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2009 18:46
Re: Thinking about upgrading... #5
Just an after thought, but if you do move all existing fish over to new tank, existing filter, water, the lot (i.e. an immediate cycle), you have a 60 litre then sat spare

If you have the room.......
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2009 18:48
Re: Thinking about upgrading... #6
Hi,

Thanks for all the useful quarantine information.

Just a couple of quick questions...

If I buy a 260 litre tank would that be ok for the 5 clown loaches? Or did you mean to get a 180L tank?

If setting up a 260L tank, it would mean that the water would be approx 1/5 orginal tank water (from my 60L tank) and 200L of new water - is that going to be ok?

When setting up a quarantine tank, the filter in my current tank is sponge and ceramic - so would you suggest just adding some of the ceramic to the quarantine filter?

And what size should the quarantine tank be? Did you say 40L would be ok?

I'm so worried about doing something wrong and jeapordising my little fish! I have come such a long way - I orginally started with a bio-orb before reading about how awful they are and upgrading to my current (still not fantastic) tank!

I would really love to have a group of 15 to 20 cardinal tetras!

Thanks again - really really appreciate the help!

Sarah
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 15/7/2009 18:56
Re: Thinking about upgrading... #7
As Violet said, setting up a QT tank is easy. Assuming the 60ltr is not a Bi-Orb, you could use that as your QT tank, along with its current filter casing (taking media from the main tank to instantly cycle). A dark background and some decor for the fish to hide in, plus its own filter and heater and that's about it. It doesn't have to be set up permanently - just drain it and store it somewhere when not required.

QTs have other uses too - as Violet said, they're useful to have for a hospital tank, to isolate aggressive tankmates from more peaceful fish, or to raise fry.

Clown Loaches are large, active fish that should really be kept in tanks of 100gal+.

I have set up a UV steriizer on my biggest tank. They are fairly easy to set up and they are useful if you have med-sensitive fish such as clown loaches. You'll need to replace the bulb every 6 months though.

Cardinals would be better off in groups of 6+ too, tbh. The bigger the shoal, the better.

EDIT// Cross-posts there
T.L
Resized Image
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2009 19:03
Re: Thinking about upgrading... #8
Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have the space for tank that is bigger than 260 litres (which I worked about would be about 57 gallons). Will my two clown loaches be ok in this if I maybe add just one more? I feel rotten that they have been in a 60l tank for so long - I am learning such a lot about fish-keeping!

Sarah
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2009 19:06
Re: Thinking about upgrading... #9
Don't worry, it's not as hard upgrading as you think it is fizzie You just need to plan a day and have no interuptions. Do not answer the door lol

If I buy a 260 litre tank would that be ok for the 5 clown loaches?
400-500 litres is usually recommended when housing 5 clown loach. They get very big.

If setting up a 260L tank, it would mean that the water would be approx 1/5 orginal tank water (from my 60L tank) and 200L of new water - is that going to be ok?

If upsizing to any bigger tank, use all the old water in the existing tank and top up, however much you need, with fresh declorinated water. Adding the existing filter media, all of it and running the bigger new filter you will need side by side for 2 months, will mean an instant cycle.The fish from a filter level are no worse off but more water means more dilution.

When I need to set up my QT though, I pinch about 50% of water from the established tank and top up with fresh (treated).

When setting up a quarantine tank, the filter in my current tank is sponge and ceramic - so would you suggest just adding some of the ceramic to the quarantine filter?

For a QT filter, I just use some existing foam media from the established tank. Pinching a bit, shouldn't affect the main established tank as the new bit of foam you put in to replace that taken, will colonise quite quickly.

And what size should the quarantine tank be? Did you say 40L would be ok?

Depends on what size fish you intend to quaranteen once the upgrade has gone ahead. That 60 litre tank would be sat empty though, so why buy another one. If you have the room to have that as a QT it would be great. You already have a heater for it so you'd just need a new filter (the one you had will be running alongside the bigger one in the upgraded tank of course).

Hope all that makes sense, did I miss anything?
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2009 19:13
Re: Thinking about upgrading... #10
You probably think that I'm such a worrier - but when you've made rubbish mistakes in the past due to lack of information it is so useful to get it right first time. I'd be really sad to lose any of my fish now.

I was half thinking that I would use my 60l for a couple of small cold water goldfish but maybe you're right - it's going to be expensive upgrading anyway!

Thanks again

Sarah