(1) 2 »
twmbwen twmbwen
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/6/2008 15:29
Laguna Powerject Maxflo 6000 & Ecomax 9000 - problems? #1
Hi there, I chose the above combination based on capacity of ecomax and enegy consumption of maxflo. Checked the Ecomax spec which said max head should not exceed 6m (maxflo is 3.5).

But it appears to be pushing the filter foams up and water is rushing up between the foam and container sides and thus not being filtered. So I check the spec and thistime see the max flow rate as being 4500.

Have I done a massive feck up. Bearing in mind pond is about 9000l and equipment has only been on for 24hrs and pond is very very green and so I have already cleaned the foam. should I replace the ecomax or the maxflo of should they be ok together?
What are the problems with running too powerful a pump with a filter?

Thanks
TOm
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 7/6/2008 18:23
Re: Laguna Powerject Maxflo 6000 & Ecomax 9000 - problems? #2
If the pumps too powerful, it will overflow, if its not overflowing, then that should mean the pump isnt too powerful.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 8/6/2008 8:07
Re: Laguna Powerject Maxflo 6000 & Ecomax 9000 - problems? #3
How high is the pump having to pump up, from the water surface to the filter box?
twmbwen twmbwen
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 9/6/2008 10:35
Re: Laguna Powerject Maxflo 6000 & Ecomax 9000 - problems? #4
Well, its not over flowing in the sense that the water is coming in faster than it can leave, but as I mentioned on the op when the filter foams are dirty (bear in mind the pond is very green so I have cleaned them every day also I have no idea what 'dirty' is) the water gets pushed up the sides of the foam not through it.

The pond is only 70cm at its deepest so addin gon another 10-20 cm for the filter housing we have about 1m max.
twmbwen twmbwen
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 9/6/2008 10:46
Re: Laguna Powerject Maxflo 6000 & Ecomax 9000 - problems? #5
Sorry forgot so say that I spoke to someone in a shop and they said it would be too fast for the UV light to work. Is this so.

It has occured to me than it might just be that the filters might be getting clogged with dirt so quickly as the pond is so green that the water just can't flow and THAT is why the water is forcing up the sides of the foam.

AHHH. I'm in a dilema. DO I cut my losses and get the Titan 5500 recomended even thought its less efficient or is my systme ok?

PS thanks for your help on this.
Tom
twmbwen twmbwen
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 9/6/2008 21:43
Re: Laguna Powerject Maxflo 6000 & Ecomax 9000 - problems? #6
Found out that the flow rate @ 1m is 4500 which it says in the manual is the max but on the box it says its the recomended flowrate.

So If I can make that 1m should I keep the pump?
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 10/6/2008 11:21
Re: Laguna Powerject Maxflo 6000 & Ecomax 9000 - problems? #7
As i see it you have three options,

1) get a new bigger filter
2) get a new smaller pump
3) add a t-peice and add a tap to control the run-off

In terms of caculating the height the pump is pumping up, you dont include the depth of the pond only from the surface of the pond.
Barzey Barzey
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 9/7/2009 21:43
Re: Laguna Powerject Maxflo 6000 & Ecomax 9000 - problems? #8
Hello folks, I have been reading this thread with interest as I too have just bought the 'Ecomax 9000' to replace my 15 yr old 'BIOZORB 2000' which due to its age was swelling in the middle but has worked fine for all that time.

It seems that I am having the same or similar problems as another on here. To start my pond is 900 gallons (8'6"x6'x 33") and I have been running an 'Olympus 10,000' pump. This now runs the new Filter, a waterfall with the 2 outlets flowing into it from the filter over the top together with a feed into the waterfall from behind and another outlet to a large 'Bell' dome feature in the centre of the pond.

I have put a Restricter valve in the main feeed to the filter so as not to push too much through. The rest of any flow goes either through the rear duct of the top of the waterfall or out through the Bell Dome feature.

The pond was crystal clear when I swapped over from the old filter to the new one last week, so apart from having to allow the build up of the natural enzymes everything 'should' have gone fine ......It didn't

The pond went like a darkish green pea-soup for the first time since I first had a pond and it just will not clear. I am having to rinse out the clogged filters 4 times a day; as within no time at all the top of the filter box just pushes up out of the box about 2 inches and obviously everything starts by-passing the filter mechanism and gunges up the pond even further.

I have turned the Restricter valve down to very low almost to a couple of really gentle flows to no avail, the same thing happens.

I am at my wits end and I am considering putting the pot-bellied old filter with its 9W U\V back on so I can restore my ponds condition before I loose any of my fish.

I am going to ring Hoselock tomorrow as I feel that the Exomax 9000 is not fit for its purpose especially as the Ecomax is less than half the size of the old Bioflow - it simply cannot cope.

Any advice, suggestions will be most welcome and my grateful thanks for reading this my first post. Just sorry my first post is so long.
MIGHTYFINN MIGHTYFINN
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 9/7/2009 23:12
Re: Laguna Powerject Maxflo 6000 & Ecomax 9000 - problems? #9
hi
this is all a bit deja vu for me. I had a similar problem with the ecopower + 50000(check the thread on filter boxes in pond /koi). The filter box lid was lifting up and and water was getting up through the sides of the foam, another member had it too!!.I contacted Hozelock who said that a batch of bottom filter boxes had been left out in the sun during the recent heatwave and may have become warped. They said the pump i had was cool as i suppose it matched the recommended triton 3000. The new bottom filter box arrived and was installed but it happened again, but not when i put two bricks on the top lol!!Eventually i changed it for another filter box which sprinkled water on to the top of the foam rather than the one that forced water up from the bottom. So now its sorted and i have two boxes running no probs. It was in all a interesting learning curve
good luck
finn
ps better to ring hozelock and nor email them as they are not replying to emails straight away due to a overwhelming
amount of customer queries at this time of year.
MIGHTYFINNMIGHTYFINN
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 9/7/2009 23:30
Re: Laguna Powerject Maxflo 6000 & Ecomax 9000 - problems? #10
Does anything but gravity restrain the filter pads in these boxes? If not, I'm not surprised at all that a pond pump would lift the media.