Animal Welfare Vote
Vix Vix
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/6/2009 23:48
Snail question #1
Hi I'm new to the world of marine and I have started my first 90 litre tank going just over two weeks ago, the first week was so exciting and I discovered that we had a hitch-hiker in the live rock that went by the name Colin the crab, but we then found that this was a common red eyed crab that could/would be bad for the tank, so we have spent that last week trying to catch him,after catching him we have since had my water tested, the levels are all good and the tank has finished its cycle and have been given the green light to start, so yesterday I added two clown fish, 2 snails and 2 hermit crabs, now the question that I have is, when I put the turbo snails in they looked fine and went on there way but since have fallen of the rocks and retreated in their shells, I am worried that something is wrong with the rest of my tank an would be greatfull for any information that anyone can offer.

thanks
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 17/6/2009 7:21
Re: Snail question #2
I think that the guys here will need a little more information like the water test results the actual values not just fine (do you have your own test kit?) invaluable bit of kit, do they just stay in their shells or can you see them trying to rite themselvs?

is the tank a new tank or has it been used before?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
blinkster blinkster
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 18/6/2009 13:36
Re: Snail question #3
do you mean that they just wont come back out of there shells?
Vix Vix
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 24/6/2009 7:29
Re: Snail question #4
yes they are still in there, but some are upside down and one of them has a hermit crab trying to get at it so I think that one may be dead, if that is dead then could that be what is making my ammonia a bit high, its at 1. at the moment. The tank is a new one.
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 24/6/2009 7:39
Re: Snail question #5
Have you used any medications in the tank at all? maybe to treat white spot? any copper based medications?

can you quarantie the snails? see what happens?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 24/6/2009 7:40
Re: Snail question #6
Ammonia at 1 is going to kill or harm most of what is in the tank. Not good at all.
Start doing water changes or 25% daily until that ammonia comes down to undetectable. Also take the snails out one at a time and give them a sniff. If they smell ok they're alive and can go back in. If the smell makes you feel ill then the snail is dead and should be disposed of.

As for why they are dead, sometimes these things happen but its worth looking for the cause.
Can you post full test results and as much detail about your tank, equipment and your maintenance routine as you can think of?
Is the tank new? Do you make your own RO water? What salt brand? temperature?
As much info as possible really as it all helps narrow down the possibilities.
lr85ninety lr85ninety
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 24/6/2009 21:21
Re: Snail question #7
did you acclimatize the snails?
Original Image