Carter09 Carter09
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Monmouthshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/6/2009 16:07
Oase BIOTEC 4 ! ! ! ! #1
Hi Guys... Can any one help! !

Im in the process of building my pond which is gonna hold about 6000 liters of water, However i've just been given a biotec 4 filter and was wonderin if its any good 4 me as im a novice at this... Its in working order but it doesnt have a uv light , so question 1 ... Is the filter suitable or should i pass it on and {2] CAN I add a uv light sum how to the filter .

Id appriciate any advice

cheers Craig
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 16/6/2009 16:56
Re: Oase BIOTEC 4 ! ! ! ! #2
"Boitec 4: is a four step filter and smallest in all available OASE Biotec range"

Doesn't look too great, if I was you i'd go on ebay and look for a small multibay - you will probably be able to get one cheap. Other, take a look at the Yamitsu Mega boxes, I got one and they are very good. Believe me its better to pay more and do it right first time as I have found out the hard way.

As for a UV, you can buy a standalone UV such as the Yamistu 25w which would probably be suitable for the size of your pond. Standalone UV's tend to be better than ones built into boxes.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 17/6/2009 12:31
Re: Oase BIOTEC 4 ! ! ! ! #3
In my option the Oase are over rated and over priced, have a look at what dale said.

Are you having a bottom drain on the pond or just having a pump to feed the filter?
Carter09 Carter09
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Monmouthshire
  • Posted on: 17/6/2009 18:27
Re: Oase BIOTEC 4 ! ! ! ! #4
Hi Frederick thanks for yr reply!

Well regarding the bottom drain , From advice i hear its something that should be done especially when having koi in yr pond so yes i think i'l put 1 in....

the oase filter was given too me, do u recomend any certain types of equipment i'd need .... the yamitsu filters dale mentioned seem very reasonably priced so i may go down that route...

Hope too hear from u

kind regards Craig
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 17/6/2009 19:59
Re: Oase BIOTEC 4 ! ! ! ! #5
Well if your going down the bottom drain route then a multi-chamber filter system is your best option, remeber the water level in the filter needs to be at the same level as the pond water and then you have your pump after the filter and then your UV unit and then back into the pond.

Link you might find helpful;
http://www.koicymru.co.uk/construct.htm

It would work out more expensive in the short-term going with a gravity filteration route however it would save you money and effort in the long-run.