(1) 2 »
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/5/2009 14:23
New tropical fish keeper advice #1
Hello tropical regions of FK, my coldwater fish sadly passed away a few days ago leaving behind a 75ltr tank. I am thinking of getting tropical fish but have no clue about them what so ever. I've checked the articles section on FK and theres nothing there which shows a "rough starting out guide".

How would I go about starting my experience with tropical fish? I have a 75ltr tank, fluval U2 filter (2months old). I have just gave my tank a full clean (washed gravel, glass and put new water in).

Like coldwater fish do you also put in tapsafe to tropical fish water? I don't understand this as the interpet tapsafe I have only mentions goldfish?

I do know I have to cycle the tank, can anyone give me an idea about the tapsafe to reduce chlorine, how long to cycle and key points I should carry out before buying the tropical fish? Thanks.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 31/5/2009 15:39
Re: New tropical fish keeper advice #2
Tropical fishkeeping is pretty much the same as coldwater, the only real difference is the temperature is higher. Everything else is the same so you do need to use a dechlorinater. The interpet one isn't great value IMO, you'd be better off with a different brand. The one I use is aquasafe but there are a few other popular ones.

A fishless cycle will take around 4-6 weeks, you can get instructions here- http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm

75 litres is a smallish tank so you should stick to smallish fish that are not too active. Water chemistry will also be a deciding factor so you'll need to test for pH and hardness before you can choose your fish. You can use the time it takes to fishless cycle to pick the fish you want. Take a browse through the caresheets if you need a bit of inspiration.

Equipment wise the only extra things you need are a heater and a thermometer if you don't already have one.

If there's anything else you need to know, just ask

ETA- just noticed your other thread, make sure you give everything from your old tank a clean in HOT salty water to get rid of any bad bacteria.
kevin kevin
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 31/5/2009 16:43
Re: New tropical fish keeper advice #3
i second the reccommendation of Aquasafe.
Resized Image
ksquires ksquires
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/6/2009 14:22
Re: New tropical fish keeper advice #4
I used API Stress coat and Stress Zyme when I started my tank and I have very good results and a small tank.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 2/6/2009 22:01
Re: New tropical fish keeper advice #5
Forget the 'stress zyme' a waste of money! Bacteria needs constant 02 and ammonia to feed. IN A BOTTLE IT HAS NONE!

Chuck it away!
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
ksquires ksquires
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/6/2009 22:06
Re: New tropical fish keeper advice #6
Oh i am supprised I mean im a newbie and was told it was ok by my local store. I used it and cycled the tank when i tested the water it was perfectly ok.
staffi01 staffi01
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 2/6/2009 22:52
Re: New tropical fish keeper advice #7
I'm confused by that one too.
Would it not be illegal for them to state on the bottle that it contains live bacteria if it wasn't true?
And what about probiotic yogurts etc. They are live bacteria cultures in sealed airtight containers.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 3/6/2009 18:33
Re: New tropical fish keeper advice #8
With regards to stress zyme, this crops up in quite a lot of posts actually. To quote EagleC from another thread (I'm sure he wouldn't mind..
.." Magic Potions like "Nutrafin Cycle" won't do any harm but it is also very unlikely that they will do any good. For years they sold this stuff with the wrong strains of bacteria in it and I don't know of anyone that has actually seen the product do anything more than drain their bank balance. Not that it's very expensive, just pointless. Bacteria need food and oxygen to survive and they get neither in a sealed bottle on a shelf so they start to die as soon as they're stocked.

The only product in the UK that we can prove does something is Bactinettes and they will be in the stores fridge with a use-by date on them. Most maidenheads (including Fair Oak) will sell Bactinettes."

Linz will also be able to give you the low down too, but seasoned fish keepers would tell you to save your pennies...

I did try Bactinettes too once, folowing a crash after meds, which really knocked the filter. Although they seem to work for some people, by speeding up the cycling, for me, it was still a further 38 days or so, until the bacteria fully kicked in again.
Anna Robinson Anna Robinson
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 3/6/2009 19:50
Re: New tropical fish keeper advice #9
Quote:

staffi01 wrote: Would it not be illegal for them to state on the bottle that it contains live bacteria if it wasn't true?

Yes, it would. Testing has shown that even at the expiry date, Stress Zyme still has higher numbers of viable and active bacteria than we claim on the bottle.

Stress Zyme does not contain nitrifying bacteria, it contains heterotrophic bacteria. Adding these bacteria speeds up the establishment of the natural bacterial cycles in the tank. They also digest organic matter that would otherwise inhibit the formation of the biological filter (by clogging it and consuming oxygen). Stress Zyme shortens the development time of the biological filter in new aquariums.
Consultant, Mars Fishcare.Resized Image
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 3/6/2009 20:56
Re: New tropical fish keeper advice #10
Ahh, 'speeding' up.

Many here have trialled and tested this though over some years and the results have always been poor Anna. I think the quickest cycle we saw, if memory serves me right, was 36 days using the product. That's only a week less (give or take a day or two) of cycling without it.

Good water changes and filter maintenace avoid clogging. TBH, I've never had a clogged filter in all my time keeping fish. Given the cost and the fact that you might gain 3-7 days, I think it's a bit expensive all things considered. Most of the longer term members agree too.