« 1 (2) 3 »
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/5/2009 18:08
Re: White strings #11
Sorry ammonia is 0ppm. I gave it a 50% water change yesterday. I give it a 20% water change every two weeks and have started to vaccum it once a week. So far ive vaccumed it twice. Shall I put him into another tank with fresh water?
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 27/5/2009 18:54
Re: White strings #12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK19R7UIxL4

I video of my fish to show you what it's doing right now :(
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 27/5/2009 22:09
Re: White strings #13
He doesn't look very happy does he We really could do with some more info, it's quite tricky to see him in the vid. He does seem to be breathing rather heavily.

Does he have any red streaks in his fins/tail? What sort of colour are his gill membranes - they should look 'fresh meat red'. Any white spots, fluffy bits, heavy slime coat?

Have you moved the ornaments and had a good hoover around and under them?

Any odd smells from the water, rotten eggs in particular?

I wouldn't move him but I would turn out the light in his tank and give him some quiet time.

When you clean the filter do you use tank water to rinse out the sponges? When did you last clean it? What temperature is the water at the moment?

He doesn't have much cover or things to hide in/around - a few live plants will provide cover and make him feel more secure as well as helping with water quality. Elodea and hornwort are ast growing and cheap. He might be a little stressed from feeling exposed
It's Not Just A Fish
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 27/5/2009 23:02
Re: White strings #14
Thanks for your ongoing help.

I do not clean the filter as I did not know you do this I was only told to replace the sponges every 3months.

I was actually at my local LFS looking for some plants today but they did not have any. I will have alook at some other fish shops tomorrow.

The light is always off, I only used it so I could capture it. Yeah not a very good video he was in a weird position.
I lifted both caves up and vaccumed under it and alot of debris come out. The one thing which I think has led to this is the actual vaccuming!

During the vaccuming alot of debris was floating around, bits of food, excrement etc. I think he may have swallowed some of this as this is around the time he became ill. He is breathing heavily but i've made sure the air filter is always on aswell as lifting the air filter out the water abit which causes it to spurt out bubbles.

I added some aqua tonic salt by interpret so hopefully this helps. I think it might be the nitrite like you said causing the oxygen not to bind properly. Hopefully the salt helps and the plants I get tomorrow will aerate the water deeply by releasing oxygen. It hurts me to see him breathe so deeply as it must be painful :(

There is not white fluff or spots anywhere i've had a good look neither can I see finrot. (which rules out infection hopefully!)

One thing I did notice is that his orange spots (he has four on his face) have started to go pale and disappear. I would not know what to look for in regards to a heavy slime coat, unfortunately. His gills do look like fresh and red which is one good thing :) I can't smell anything bad from the water and it seems to look clear aswell.

Here are two more videos i've taken to get a better view of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kEaLSdy23Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfE4Dx56VA

my LFS told me that I should not feed him for a week as i've been feeding him 2/3 times a day as stated on the container and he said that it's too much, which could be the reason for high levels in nitrite. Is this a good thing to do?

Thank You :) Oh yeh sorry, I don't have a temperature at the moment but i'm trying to locate one and will get the recording up ASAP.
stardust79 stardust79
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 28/5/2009 1:35
Re: White strings #15
Rapid gill movement is a sign of nitrite poising also.

Not a good sign when the fish is laying on the bottom I am afraid.

Add some salt like suey suggested as this will stop nitrite poisoning. Think it is 1 gram of salt per gallon but double check this

Sounds to me like he is very poorly :(

I would not chase him around with the net though as this will stress him out even more. Stress in fish weakens the immune system. So don't move him either. Can you turn the pump up at all to give him more oxygen?

Sometimes, and I found this with previous fish I have had is that the nirtite/ammonia levels have made them very ill. this is usually the main reason for fish illness and deaths.
I have been there a few times :(

Also, yes you have been over feeding him. He only needs 2 to 3 flakes/pellets a day. Over feeding will contribute to high nitrite levels.
Not feeding him for a week will not harm your fish at all.

from the videos I would say he looks like he is suffering from nitrite poisoning. there is not a lot else you can do apart from keep the water clean, add some salt and wait and see.

EDIT: I see you have already added salt
60 litre

1 fantail/oranda

30 litre

6 minnows, 3 white cloud, 3 gold
Pablo C Pablo C
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 28/5/2009 10:09
Re: White strings #16
Also i think you should give the filters a good clean in tankwater as they must be clogging up and ineffective. Should clean the filters every 2-4 weeks.
Good luck!
Hmm do i really mean that?
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 28/5/2009 12:52
Re: White strings #17
Thanks stardust and pablo....

There has been a miracle!!!! I took your advice on cleaning the filter mediums and after 10 mins of replacing them back into the U2 fluval filter Quattro suddenly "SHOT" up to the surface a his usual speed and actually jumped out the water! He's swimming around more now, slowly but surely! After his fe rounds he comes back to the bottom to relax and then takes a few more rounds!

This is unbelievable, i'm assuming that the salt and cleaning of filter have helped him :) (I'm looking at him now and his swam to his favorite spot (under the filter where there are water currents).

YAY! Thanks everyone below is a summary (all the notes of this topic) for anyone else experiencing the same problem can refer to in the future:

Incase of nitrite poisoning:

- Make sure your filter media is clean
- Use Aquarium salt to counter the nitrITE. (ensure it is not normal table salt as the preservatives can burn the skin)
- Increase areation
- Stop feeding the fish few a week allowing the nitrite to be cleared up.
- Always double check with someone the amount of food to be given (2/3 times a day is too much)
- Install live aquarium plants which will help regulate the water deep down.

Hope this helps, thanks again everyone.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 28/5/2009 12:58
Re: White strings #18
FX he's on the road to recovery now

On the feeding front - I feed mine twice a day, the bulk of rations in the morning e.g. pellets and then a snack in the evening e.g. bloodworm, peas etc
It's Not Just A Fish
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 28/5/2009 13:48
Re: White strings #19
:) I'll follow your routine aswell! Do they eat daphnia aswell? Off to buy some plants now :D
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 28/5/2009 17:55
Re: White strings #20
Just checked on Quattro, he's sitting again and gasping so i'm assuming the earlier thing was a freak thing. I've noticed that he seems bloated around his stomache region like inflated, does anyone know why this can be? Thanks.