catflish catflish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/5/2009 11:59
Exo skeleton #1
I think that's what it's called!

I now have some amano shrimp and was wondering when they shed there skin things? Why do they do it and how often? I know you have to leave them in for them to eat. I saw one in fish shop yesterday and none of the shrimps had eaten it!
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 4/5/2009 13:35
Re: Exo skeleton #2
they shed the exoskeleton to grow, all crustaceans grow this way. moulting can vary with age and diet of the shrimp, younger shrimp will shed more often as they grow, but if there is not enough food around for shrimp to grow, the shrimp will moult less often, only when its able to. a new layer grows under the hardened layer, and when shrimp is ready to shed they produce a hormone which releases the old skin and it can climb out (well wriggle) takes a few hours for the new exo to harden so shrimps usually hide until thats done.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
catflish catflish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 4/5/2009 15:09
Re: Exo skeleton #3
Wow, thanks for that. Hopefully I will be able to watch the shrimp do this. Do they always eat the exoskeleton or do I take it out if it hasn't been touched within a certain amount of time?
catflish catflish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 5/5/2009 17:13
Re: Exo skeleton #4
Got home today to find that my shrimp had shed it's exoskeleton thing!! There was only the head bit and part of the tail left, something had eaten the rest.

Is there any way to work out which shrimp has done this??
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/6/2009 15:50
Re: Exo skeleton #5
do you mean which shrimp has moulted or who has eaten the skeleton? usually happens when its dark, the shrimp will hide somewhere, moult and stay there til its hardened up again, so not really any way of telling which one it was. usually the shrimp that sheds will eat some of the old shell, it contains useful minerals that are beneficial, so other shrimps and even the fish may pick at it too. leave it in, it wont last long.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...