« 1 ... 31 32 33 (34) 35 36 37 ... 59 »
mattias mattias
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gwyedd
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/4/2009 14:42
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #331
The loose material may well have been inorganic, especially from the sand. Less than an hour isn't bad, and if the rock was kept damp/wet the losses may have been fairly small. I'd just set the skimmer on the suggested startup-settings again and wait for a while (the smaller the bubbles the better, I believe). The airstone in the Marisys will need replacement from time to time as it becomes waterlogged, i think monthly is probably enough.

The chamber shouldn't be full of water - when there's anything to skim you will se a pillar of foam rising in the tube and being pushed up by the new foam forming beneath it.

It could well take a couple of weeks before you have any waste to skim, after all the LR is the filter in the system and there's not anything else (except for a few hitchhikers) in there.

Sorry if I'm babbling a bit, I only used the marisys for a brief time and then swapped for a hang-on skimmer instead...
alanedinburgh alanedinburgh
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/4/2009 14:53
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #332
cool thanks for your help

well im gettin lots of fine bubbles justnow! like i said the instructions were rubbish and it never gave u a standard settings for it! but ill hold on and see what happens! the water looks pretty much crystal clear in the tank and the chamber so suppose it cant to any harm to hold out and see what happens in a few weeks

P.S it would be still begreat if other folk could leave info on when there skimmers started to kick in and under what circumstances

cheers folk
britespark65 britespark65
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/4/2009 15:44
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #333
i never got anything in the skimmer untill i added livestock, like others, i have changed the skimmer & even now with 5 fish i dont always get a lot of crap in the collection cup
dulcie.alma dulcie.alma
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 2/4/2009 21:12
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #334
i too didnt have anything in the skimmer cup until i added the livestock,even now theres not alot but it seems to still be doing the trick.has anybody had any luck with anemones?or would'nt it be recommended without a metal halide?water parameters are bang on lightings the only issue i think
Samuel Samuel
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 16/4/2009 16:27
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #335
Hey, I have 3 types of Anemone in mine. I have a White Malu hosting 2 percs, a pink Bubble tip and a Green hairy Mushroom anemone. all been in the tank for a long while and all grown. Most Anemone dont neeed very strong lighting. The t5's in the aquamarine are not that bad really. Since setting up mine I have grown even some hard corals, one piece of purple accopora is now 4 times the original frag size just 6 months later. The skimmer works fine in my tank if you keep the chamber clean and change the air block regularly though it wont skim until there is some buio load ie. some waste. PS due to house move my tank and all contents can now be found in the classified section. You can see pics ther or in my previous posts. Sam
Resized Image
Moo Moo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Buckinghamshire
  • Posted on: 30/4/2009 10:53
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #336
Hi all,
Just a quick question , is there anyway to reduce the noise coming from the marisys powerhead pump.

Cheers
jayvxr jayvxr
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From -
  • Posted on: 3/5/2009 12:43
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #337
Hi Guys

Just wondering what after market skimmers anyone is using as i am thinking of binning the marisys filter.
Is there a skimmer that hangs on without modification to the hood?
Also if i am running the berlin method would i be ok without any chemical filtration ie hang on skimmer and LR?

Any helpwould be much appreciated
lr85ninety lr85ninety
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 3/5/2009 17:44
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #338
samuel nem's require powerful lighting or at least most do its strongly suggested that halides are a bare minimum for almost all nems but given todays high output t5's (ati and korralin ect) these should be suitable at shallower depths, also everything i have read (im no expert but have been researching into getting a bubbletip) suggests if a nems white its already dieing as they can take such a long time to pass away so to speak. nems should only ever be kept in a large well matured aquarium by experienced fishkeepers, im not saying your not but with so many nems taken out the sea and sentenced to death for the aquatics trade its about time we take responsibility for giving adequate advice HTH
Resized Image
mattias mattias
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gwyedd
  • Posted on: 3/5/2009 19:15
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #339
jayvxr,

The Deltec 300 hang-on skimmer will fit where the overflow box goes with 2 minor mods: you must remove the flap in the hood of the tank (but it pulls out with out too much trouble), and the discharge pipe from the skimmer must be cut back a few cm.

/Mattias
jayvxr jayvxr
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From -
  • Posted on: 3/5/2009 19:33
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #340
Thanks Matthias
Are you using the deltec? If so are you finding it better than the marisys. am i ok to disregard that all together and just use the deltec and my live rock?