« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/4/2009 18:00
Re: Help for my comet please #11
Dratts! I just bought the new U" range yesterday to replace the old filter because the pump stopped working on it. The colonies not going to be mature. What shall I do now?

Yeah I know its very small it was the first bowl that was sold to me by this lame pet shop who told me it will be ok. I only found out it won't be ok when I found this website.
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 26/4/2009 18:13
Re: Help for my comet please #12
So you've been medicating the tank without a mature filter? Ah. Right. You need a bottle of ammonia remover as soon as a spare second presents itself to keep the toxins away from the fish, especially while you're medicating for whitespot. Sorry, I was under the impression the tank had a mature filter.

In the meantime, carry out a 30% water change.
T.L
Resized Image
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 26/4/2009 18:25
Re: Help for my comet please #13
Im abit confused,

the 72L tank has a fluval U2 filter which I put in yesterday brand new. (the one in there previously wasn't working so had to get a new one).

the 4.4L tank is unfiltered and is being used as the quarantine tank. It is in this tank that I have added some aquarium salt and protozin.

The 72L tank has no medication in it but I did put in a small amount of aquarium salt as I read that it does no harm and is ok to put in.

The fish in the 72L tank is a shubunkin (called Quattro) and the one in the 4.4L tank (sick one) is a comet (called Audi).

Do you think it will be ok to put comet into the 72L tank with quattro and use protozin in it with the new fluval U2 filter.

I;m just confusing myself so i've tried to re-explain it better hope this can help in clarifying things up :)

Thanks.
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 26/4/2009 18:31
Re: Help for my comet please #14
Also on the protozin bottle it says remove zeolite and carbon, i'm pretty sure this is one of the three foam pads in the fluval U2 filter? Does this mean i'll have to remove it, thanks.
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 26/4/2009 19:00
Re: Help for my comet please #15
If you've had carbon or zeolite in the filter all this time, it'll just be removing the meds pretty much as soon as you've added them, so yeah, take it out.

I personally wouldn't start treating again until you have the ammonia remover.

Also be sure to increase aeration during treatment.
T.L
Resized Image
Anna Robinson Anna Robinson
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 28/4/2009 21:18
Re: Help for my comet please #16
Yes, I would put both fish in the 72 litre. The comet will almost certainly die in an unfiltered 4.4 litre tank, even without the whitespot, because of water quality problems.

If you're sure you've got whitespot, then I would treat the 72 litre for whitespot.

The problem with the 72 litre is that you've got no mature filter in there, so you will probably get water quality problems. You cannot do large water changes to help with the water quality problems (because you will dilute the whitespot treatment if you do) and you cannot add an ammonia and nitrite absorbing resin like Nitra-Zorb because it will remove the whitespot medication. All I can think you can do is use an ammonia detoxifier to lock up ammonia, and hope that the whitespot course of treatment is finished before you start to get nitrite. If not, you can use salt to off-set the harmful effects of nitrite, but read up on it before doing it, as inaccurate dosing could cause more problems.

I don't know about other manufacturers' ammonia-removing products, but API's Ammo-Lock is safe to use with medications.

Hope that was clear!
Consultant, Mars Fishcare.Resized Image
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 28/4/2009 21:36
Re: Help for my comet please #17
Use Prime or Amquel darknite. They'll deal with nitrite and nitrate as well as ammonia.

I agree with Anna about both fish being in the 72ltr though.
T.L
Resized Image
Anna Robinson Anna Robinson
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 30/4/2009 10:30
Re: Help for my comet please #18
Ooo, yes, good thought. I'd forgotten that Prime is supposed to help with nitrite as well. I am personally a bit sceptical as to how it can 'bind' nitrite and nitrate (ammonia is different) but as you can see from my sig I am obviously not impartial here. Worth a try I think.
Consultant, Mars Fishcare.Resized Image
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 30/4/2009 11:02
Re: Help for my comet please #19
Im very wary of putting the sick fish into the 72L as I think the fish in there will become sick to? Ive been treating audi with protozin for 5 days now in the 4.4l tank and there is no change.

I appreciate the advice its great but im still stuck to what exaclty I should do. So far what I think is that:

1) I should add the sick fish back into the 72L tank (but then theres a chance the other fish might become ill)
2) Buy prime and add it to the 72L tank
3) remove the filter as it will clear the medicine away
4) start treating with protozin

Is the basically the course of action I should take?

TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 30/4/2009 11:42
Re: Help for my comet please #20
There was always a chance that the fish in the 72ltr would have caught the whitespot too as both fish were in the same tank before you noticed it on Audi. 4.4ltrs is tiny and if that tank has carbon in the filter, you might as well be pouring the Protozin down the sink, for all the good it'll do. That's probably why you haven't seen any improvement.

You don't need to take the filter out of the tank - just the carbon/zeolite part of the filter - and that shouldn't be in the tank full-term anyway.

Yes, buy the Prime and add it to the tank.

Also, increase aeration during treatment.
T.L
Resized Image