dawndunn dawndunn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/2/2009 23:33
Striped Catfish #1
Hi everyone.

My Hubbie was sold 2 striped catfish at the weekend. They told him that they were community fish, and they seem more active at night.

I have looked through loads of picture of catfish on the internet, and it doesn't look like any of them !!!

If you could solve my mystery and let me know more about the type of catfish it is that would be great.

Not the best photo in the world, but best I could do..... they are really quick

Attach file:

jpg  (123.21 KB)
8130_49920e8e17953.jpg 800X600 px
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 10/2/2009 23:48
Re: Striped Catfish #2
Mystus vittatus, an asian member of the bagrid family known as a banded mystus, 8-9 inch fish, average to low hardness perams , warm tropical temps a good aquarium fish for the 30 gallon plus tank, will eat fish much under 3 inches long though, so not community in the small leagues, though with fish near on a similar size no problem. Primarily carniverous, but considered unfussy. Pretty much like keeping many synos, schilbes etc, not really challenging , but watch em around the little ones. Small tetras and these guys = expensive snack. I shoulnt think they are aggressive though, probably very laid back, but they will eat whatever they can swallow. Psychologically they will need plants caves and cover.
Resized Image
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/2/2009 23:59
Re: Striped Catfish #3
oh dear!
they are not community fish at all, they are Pangasius hypophthalmus a fish that is farmed for food in its native countries.. it grows to around 4 feet in length.
to be honest i would return them asap. they shouldnt be sold in petshops at all, but they are cheap fish to produce, so they are commonly avialable. they are one of a few tank buster fish that are a problem for fishkeepers they generally get too big fo most poeple as they need tanks of several hundred gallons!

dont listen to advice fom petshops, whenever you buy any fish, make sure you know what you are getting before you get it, if you see somehtng interesting, take its name - scientific name is better if it is available - good shops should know what it is.

*EDIT* ignore me, Mr Git knows better than i do!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
dawndunn dawndunn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/2/2009 0:03
Re: Striped Catfish #4
Thanks for the quick reply LHG

Guess the hubbie can take them back where he found them and bring a couple of Corys instead !!!!!