deanchopper deanchopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/1/2009 20:47
Red crabs #1
Moved my Red crab over to my new 160l tank (was in 60l). Also got 2 guppys, 3 tetras and a pleco in there.

Not sure if one of my Guppys was ill, as he has been swimming around just fine (like a few hours ago), found the crab eating him tonight!!

I been watching the crab and seems to be hiding and waiting under the new rock setups, seems more like he is waiting and will come out if I lift my hand near the rock from outside, never seen this in the old tank.

I hadnt read up much on red crab, and he seemed ok (only been a few weeks in other tank) but not sure if this thing intends to eat the other fish, or whether the guppy was ill and got eaten! Any comments?

Read on PFK to excercise caution with them.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 31/1/2009 21:24
Re: Red crabs #2
What did you think crabs ate? Small fish (especially slow swimming ones like guppies) and crabs do not mix well. I'd re-home the crab as soon as you can because he will eat the fish if he can catch them and he seems to be able to get the guppies pretty easily.

What sort of tetras do you have?
tom192 tom192
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 31/1/2009 22:46
Re: Red crabs #3
My red crab used to climb up my heater and sit on my brace bars most of the day, never went near any fish though.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/1/2009 23:39
Re: Red crabs #4
also not best with fish as red crabs need some kind of land area, they do need to get out sometimes. best for them to be in there own set up really.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
deanchopper deanchopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 1/2/2009 11:37
Re: Red crabs #5
They are Neon tetras

I think the new tank setup lends itself moe easily for him to prey as it has higher rocks, more areas for the fish to swim through where 'pinch' can hide. He has gone back in my gourami tank but they are breeding so cant stay there long!
deanchopper deanchopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 1/2/2009 20:18
Re: Red crabs #6
anyone in south wales want him, otherwise I got to take him back to cardiff!?