kirmy kirmy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/1/2009 21:38
from tank to pond...how to transition goldfish!!! #1
Hi Guys long time no post from me. I am moving house to another dazzlingly beautiful highland location and have decided to donate the wags (4 large comets) to Mark's massive outdoor aquarium (i.e. a lap pool sized aquarium with goldies). The problem is how to do this at this time of year? Can I get them acclimatised and ready for such a change?

As the house I'm moving to is in an area full of sea eagles and some ospreys I doubt an outdoor pond would stay stocked for longer than an hour before word got out amongst the neighborhood birds of prey on the dive in restaurant. It's a small cottage and there really isn't room for two 200lt tanks so one has to go and its the wags.

Also sad news...my beloved belligerent Cray fish Idi Ahmin died two months ago. There was no obvious reason i.e. water profiles were normal, no injuries or signs of prior illness. SIGH!

Anyhoo let me know if you can help.

Love love Kirstin xx
p.s. uploaded the picture just to be a showing off gimp girl

Attach file:

jpg  (187.09 KB)
5310_497e2cfa1e90f.jpg 800X600 px
Resized ImageWhite spot, plukes, flukes, dropsy,swim bladder disorder and constipated...otherwise fine thanks!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 26/1/2009 21:45
Re: from tank to pond...how to transition goldfish!!! #2
Hellooooooooo The pics of your current abode were bad enough let alone this!

It would be risky to move the Wags outside at this time of year, ideally the earliest would be end of April/beginning of May and that's dahn sahf where the weather is warmer. Any chance they could go indoors in Mark's place in their tank until the temps are up a bit? Could be a horrible shock to their systems going in now

Sorry to hear about Idi - he was a lucky evil crayfish
It's Not Just A Fish
kirmy kirmy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Posted on: 26/1/2009 22:55
Re: from tank to pond...how to transition goldfish!!! #3
DRAT! I was hoping there was a way...hmmm well it's falling over the wags for another four months for me! I don't want to move them about too much so if they move with me they'll be staying.

I'm a very very spoiled girl there is no doubt about it. I couldn't go back to the city and at this rate my next move will be to a cave in the side of a mountain. I am becoming mad hermit fish lady.

Nice to hear from you Suey my dear. Feel free to drop by any time for a cup of tea and a wander.

xx
Resized ImageWhite spot, plukes, flukes, dropsy,swim bladder disorder and constipated...otherwise fine thanks!
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/1/2009 23:01
Re: from tank to pond...how to transition goldfish!!! #4
the only thing i can think of with the cray is that he had a problem moulting maybe, how often did he moult? was he due to moult when he died? not too sure with crayfish, but i know crustaceans in general can sometimes die from a bad moult, bit of a guess tho, just comparing them to land hermits.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 27/1/2009 7:46
Re: from tank to pond...how to transition goldfish!!! #5
You're obviously still within the bounds of civilisation there, with wheelie bins
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
kirmy kirmy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Posted on: 28/1/2009 12:17
Re: from tank to pond...how to transition goldfish!!! #6
Yes we have wheelie bins...and even the postman calls!! Soon they'll make me wear shoes and take on that evil "book learning"!
kirmy kirmy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Posted on: 28/1/2009 12:19
Re: from tank to pond...how to transition goldfish!!! #7
Hmmm I changed my calcium suppliment so I'm wondering if it was a moult issue. Sniff I miss the evil wee monster.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/1/2009 13:28
Re: from tank to pond...how to transition goldfish!!! #8
possibly somethign to do with it, but its will be other thigns too, i know iodine levels are important for moulting too, more to do with the hormones they release to detach the old layer before they get out of it rather than the calcium levels for shell strength. still only a possible cause tho but only thing i could thing of that could just happen like that as there were obvious issues.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...