Kaz980 Kaz980
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 25/1/2009 1:11
T5 lighting...what's the best replacement bulbs? #1
I'm gonna apologise now, cos I'm moving my tank later today from 1 room to another (reason = decorating the sitting room), and I've decided to do a few modifications and badly needed updates, money allowing that is!
I've got 4xT5's which I know are in need of renewing but when you go on the internet it is so confusing as to what bulbs to buy. At the moment I have 3 marine tubes and 1 actinic, Arcadia do a 14k range of bulbs or Blau do a 15k range what's the best to go for and in what arrangemet, same as I'm using or more actinic? . They are all about the same price £15.99 & £17.99 so no real difference there, but I want the best light for the tank inhabitants, which are:-
various mushrooms
colt coral
ricordeas
xenia leathers
polyps
numerous zoas
sponge
toadstool
sea fan (gorgonian)
derasa clam
2x clowns
algae blennie
regal tang
mandarin
randalls anthias fairy
small sailfin tang
sand sifter starfish, blood shrimp, 2x cleaner shrimp various snails and a couple of hermits.

I'm looking to upgrade later on in the year to a bigger tank (I've seen a fantastic one but don't know the make yet as I have to gaze at with longing very discreatly as hubby doesn't know that in my mind I'm having it, supposing I have to sell my sole to get it )

At the moment though I'm making this tank as good as it can get till I get the sitting room decorated and can inform hubby of the new tank I've just bought.

P.S For Sale.....1 used but reasonable condition sole, slightly frayed around the edges but on the whole pretty decent. No deals with the devil made (as yet)and no stains that cannot be washed out, eventually. Will accept nothing less than 120g tank with sump and accessories. PM me with any offers please.
karen
yorkshire tea yorkshire tea
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Pembrokeshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/1/2009 1:29
Re: T5 lighting...what's the best replacement bulbs? #2
yeah go for the arcadia 14k marine whites i use them and there great.i would stick to 3 whites and 1 actinic.
Resized Image
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/1/2009 7:25
Re: T5 lighting...what's the best replacement bulbs? #3
I've been replacing wit JBL tubes and they seem very good - although I am comparing them to the ones that came free with the light fitting. Again 3 white and one actinic.
lr85ninety lr85ninety
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 25/1/2009 14:36
Re: T5 lighting...what's the best replacement bulbs? #4
ati seem to be making tubes everyones talking about seen some at lfs and they do look good
Resized Image
marineconverts marineconverts
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 25/1/2009 17:36
Re: T5 lighting...what's the best replacement bulbs? #5
Sorry to jump in on this thread, but i have the standard tubes in my TL 550 tank which are two double tubes one white one actinic, question i have is evryone seems to be saying 3 white tubes and one actinic, so when i replace should i buy 1 double white and one half white half actinic?
Steve
Kaz980 Kaz980
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 27/1/2009 10:44
Re: T5 lighting...what's the best replacement bulbs? #6
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to have a look at both the JBL & the ATI and see how they compare to the Blau & Arcardia ones I was looking at. I've been reading all the hype on the internet about all these lighting tubes and it's a bit confusing knowing which ones are good and which ones are just hype, I suppose it's just a case of making your choice and keeping your fingers crossed
karen
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 27/1/2009 15:51
Re: T5 lighting...what's the best replacement bulbs? #7
Quote:

marineconverts wrote:
Sorry to jump in on this thread, but i have the standard tubes in my TL 550 tank which are two double tubes one white one actinic, question i have is evryone seems to be saying 3 white tubes and one actinic, so when i replace should i buy 1 double white and one half white half actinic?

i have just pinched this from another website (lol) but it was easier than retyping! and i wouldnt have remembered all the big words either...

Quote:

To provide zooxanthellae with the proper wavelengths of light for photosynthesis, different bulbs have been developed to mimic sunlight filtered through different depths of water. As light penetrates water, different wavelengths with different "energies" will penetrate to varying depths. Red light (630-780 nm) penetrates to about 15 m, while blue light (420-490 nm) goes as deep as 250 m. So, it is not surprising that most zooxanthellae have evolved to absorb light best at 420 nm in the blue range. This has led to development of fluorescent bulbs that emit light primarily at this peak: Actinic 03-type bulbs. While you could use all actinic lighting on a reef, you may find the result disappointing. (Our eyes do not perceive blue light as very bright, and find yellow light more aesthetically pleasing.) Also recommended are "full spectrum" bulbs, "tuned" to produce light across the full spectrum, mimicking natural sunlight. These tubes show the true colors of corals and fish, and are pleasing to our eyes. Most reefs work best with a 1:1 ratio of actinic to full spectrum bulbs. Also available to hobbyists, are combination bulbs often called 50/50 or actinic white; these emit light across the full spectrum, with extra "actinic" phosphors for additional light at 420 nm.

so going on that if its a shallow tank,it wont make much difference, for those of us with tanks deeper than 15metres... (lol, anybody?) need more blue!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
marineconverts marineconverts
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 27/1/2009 17:36
Re: T5 lighting...what's the best replacement bulbs? #8
Thx for that, i may as well stick with 50/50 then.
Steve
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/1/2009 8:41
Re: T5 lighting...what's the best replacement bulbs? #9
Interesting but I read that a little differently.

If red light penetrates to 15m then surely its not a hard cut off at 15m and at 5m one third of the red light is gone?
This would mean that corals growing in the wild at depths of 5m are expecting their light to have all the blue but only two thirds of the red that we would see at the surface.
To properly mimick their conditions we can either have a 5m deep tank and give it a light source as powerful as the tropical sun - OR - place the coral relatively close to the surface with a much less powerful light source but with the frequencies adjusted to be right for what it would normally get. ie, more blue than red.

So, marine whites for us to see the tank and actinics for coral growth. The right ratio? I think you have to figure out what works for you.