« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 6/1/2009 18:00
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #11
Not really got anything to add, just a hi to fellow glos people. I assume the advice must have come from a p&h, the rest of the shops in glos usually have more sense than that....well, usually.
Original Image
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/1/2009 8:16
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #12
well you guessed correctly the advice did indeed come from P@H but they sounded like they knew what they were talking about so go figure they can talk the talk but as for the walk???!!!

as for my comunity i think i have found a new home for my shark my tetras and my guppies so i'm gonna start from just my Betta...... any sugestions?

as foor bottom feeders and general waste eaters would shrimp eat algae from the tank walls??
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 7/1/2009 8:44
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #13
Possibly, though if its scale algae then there really aren't many species at all that will eat it. Scale algae needs to be regularly cleaned off as part of tank maintanence. Shrimp will eat most filamentous algaes you'll find in freshwater setups.

Shrimp would be an ideal addition to a Betta tank and are very entertaining to watch.
Original Image
[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-a
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 7/1/2009 8:49
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #14
good morning by the way
I do clean the algae off with a scrubber thingy (corse spunge)but i want the tank to take care of it's self to some extent if you know what i mean?

shrimp what kind of shrimp will be best how many would you sugest?

other fish that will live happily with my betta if any??
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 7/1/2009 8:59
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #15
Morning!

Cherry shrimp, Amano shrimp. 4 would give plenty of interest.

As for fish you'd be really really limited, perhaps a dwarf species like Habrosus Cories.
Original Image
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 7/1/2009 10:28
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #16
Limited?? Space?? or because of the betta?

any other dwarf species that would add a fair bit of movement in my tank?

only 4 shrimp i thaught i'd need more but me thinks thats due to the amount of life i have in ther at present!
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 7/1/2009 10:42
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #17
It's hard to think that what you have now is overstocked when it's all you've known, some of our tanks would seem positively Spartan in comparison but you have to understand that that tank is very very small. My biggest tank is 200l and that is small in comparison to some other members tanks. It's the amount of life that's in their now that's the problem really, that's why we're stepping down your stocklist, and that's why it's no good shifting out one overcrowded species simply to replace it by equal numbers of another.

In fact, in my 200l I only have maybe 10 more fish than you at most and my tank is fully stocked, I couldn't add more without sending it into overstock.

The last thing you want to do is rehome your fish and then just overstock again with different ones. Fish are far more intelligent than people give them credit for, being able to swim 10" in every direction really doesn't cut it, they need space, suitable decor and tank mates to provide mental stimulation. You really can tell apart fish which have been kept in small aquaria for their entire lives and fish kept in comparitively palatial aquaria, just ask to see LHG's Betta photos and compare to Betta's kept in sub 10 gallon tanks the difference in colour, vitality and musculature is amazing, kinda makes it depressing seeing any fish in less condition.

You've done the right thing by rehoming what you have but you now need to be really careful you don't get sucked into the same trap again, if you have ambitions for a bustling community, perfectly balanced with fish used to living with each other in the same environments then there's no reason why you can't do it, in a bigger tank. You can create some truly magnificent harmonious communities with very careful planning, consideration for the animals needs and patience, and we can help you with that.

For now if an upgrade is completely out of the question then I would stick to invertebrates such as shrimp and snails (more interesting than they sound) or dwarf bottom feeders like the aforementioned cories.
Original Image
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 7/1/2009 11:41
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #18
Well my current stock should be in there new homes by sunday at the latest the shark went today at about 10am didnt want to get in the catch net jumped out twice i am told the guppys a guy here at work wants for is comunity he showd me some pics its huge just guppys and a mateing pair ow dwarf goarmy? or however you spell it!
tetras are going to a single 40ltr tank just for them and maybe a couple more for a nice start to my next doors little girl she loves the "shiny" ones and hates my big dragon (betta) as she calls it. i'll go look for some shrimp tonight see what is about localy any species i should avoid?

after the advice you have given to me i wont be stuffing my tank full of fish i just dont want my betta to now become lonley and agressive by being on his own which might cause a problem in the future so i want to get a couple maybe 3 tank mates for him somthing small and active that wont be a target for and/or pose a threat to my Betta who is nameless at the moment i've had him about 1to 1 1/2 months was gonna call him godzilla but thats cheesey so i think it will be DAVE in the end.

so any fish you can recoment to compliment my betta will be taken in to consideration when finding him friends.
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 7/1/2009 12:31
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #19
What Goldnugget is trying to tell you, Dazzler, is that bettas in community is a tricky business. They're territorial fish, so anything that remotely resembles a betta will trigger a reaction (mine flared at a red flower on his background, so your guppies had a truly lucky escape), and other fish, such as tetras, that don't trigger that kind of reaction are liable to nip the betta's fins.
T.L
Original Image
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 7/1/2009 12:41
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #20
i understand this i am after some sugestions of possible tank mates that i can look in to and find out more not a list of fish that will/wont be compatible with my betta, dwarf cory have been sugested but wont these eat the shrimp i have planned to help keep the tank cleen?