(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/1/2009 13:44
40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #1
Beginner wanting advice on pleco species.

i need some bottom of the tank movement, help in cleaning the gravle and any algae growth and debris clean up.

my tank is only 40 ltrs what plecos should i introduce to my tank????????????

Dazzler.
sophie sophie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 6/1/2009 14:17
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #2
I'm not sure if there is any Plecs that could go in a tsnk that size!

Have you contemplated snails or shrimps they do the same job?
Lanzone Printer Ink, For All Your Printing Needs....
http://www.lanzone.co.uk/shop/

Resized Image
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 6/1/2009 14:20
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #3
i have contemplated these but idealy i wanted a fish only tank but if i have to go down the snail shrimp route what are the drawbacks ?? shrimp do they get eaten by the larger fish snails do they make a mess?

EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/1/2009 14:23
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #4
You're going to struggle to find a plec that can be humanely kept in a 40L tank. Shrimp can get eaten by some fish but you wont have any large fish in a 40L tank...

Probably best you tell us a little more about your current setup including current fish, future plans, decor, substrate and all water parameters so we can advise if there is anything suitable.
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 6/1/2009 14:32
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #5
ok i have a 40 ltr tank at aprox 22degC - 24degC depending on the room temperature it does not well i have never seen it below 22degC, i have a CT Betta male, 6 Guppys i think 5 Tetra i did have 8 to begin with but some have disapered i have found none belly up eaten hiding (but where). i have a red tail black shark that is verry passive and need some sort of algae eater or bottom feeders to hoover up the crap and eat the green stuff. i have a number of live plants lava rock and drift wood along with a small spungebob. all on corse black/red gravel hope this helps
Darren
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 6/1/2009 14:58
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #6
I'm sorry to say but your seriously overstocked as you are! The red tailed black shark on it's own would be overstock in a 40l tank, you certainly don't have any space for more fish

Have you any plans for re-homing these fish or upgrading the tank to a bigger one?

If you need any help/suggestions with the stocklist and getting things to where they should be then just ask
Resized Image
[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-a
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 6/1/2009 15:13
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #7
no plans as yet to upgrade there apears to be lots of space for all of the fish all seem to be happy and healthy all swimming about the shark does not stop swimming (lack of space maybe if this is the case i have a home he can go to) all fish are eating well every 4 or 5 days on a varied diet of dry flakes, frozen bloodworm, frozen shrimp fry and the Betta loves peas and makes large bubble nestsin a quiet corner compaired to a friend of min's betta. so it never occoured to me that it is over stocked the nitrate levels are stable and low and the ph is about 7-7.5 constanty.

what would you sugest as a happy medium for my tank?????

Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 6/1/2009 15:26
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #8
Without knowing what your existing algae eating bottom feeders are on the basis of just the fish you have now you'd be looking at around 30 gallon minimum. Preferably more.

Fish bought from the shop are juveniles, babies, you need to account for the fish growing when making a stock list, the red tailed black shark will manage around 7" adult size given the space. Not given the space to grow and fish will become stunted, what this means is that their bodies stop growing but their internal organs do not, they die young of organ compaction.

It's not just about space for swimming too, though humane space is an important consideration (think of the multi billion gallon habitats they have in the wild), surface area for gaseous exchange, in a small tank, less surface area for O2 to be absorbed, low O2 levels in the water, O2 starved fish. Small water volumes mean less water to dilute toxins, do you test for Ammonia and NitrITE as well as NitrATE.

Not only that but proper companions are a consideration too, Guppies like hard water with pH in the high 7's, tetras like pH under 7 preferably around 6 for most species so you have one very uncomfortable (and now sterile) tetra species in there. Bettas require 10 gallons alone and putting them in with nippy tetras can result in disaster, his fins will be too tempting, nibbling will occur. The red tailed black shark will get big, and aggressive with age, wouldn't be suprised if he's eaten your tetras in the night.

Even if you upgrade there are uncompatible species there so may be worth a rethink and looking at rehoming of a couple. There's no reason you can't have a fantastic community in a 30 gallon with help and careful thought on what's suitable.

Fishkeeping really isn't a buy any species and put them together kind of hobby, just as you wouldn't put a rabbit locked in a room with a greyhound...
Resized Image
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 6/1/2009 15:40
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #9
my original shopping list i found from several sources on the net was a common plec, betta m/f red tail shark 6-8 guppie, 8-10 tetra. this was based on a 40 ltr tank
i dont at the moment have any algae eaters in the tank i did have a common plec but he got over 6" and that was just to bug all he did was sit on the tank wall and sit still he is now at the local aqua centre awaiting a home that can house him well.! as for the shark the place that i found him the girl who sold me informed me that he will grow no more than 4-4 1/2" in length if it will become over 7" then i'll have to re house him with my friends fishys he has a comunity of sharks in a huge tank almost a whole length of his livingroom. as for the guppy's and tetras they were sold to me by the same shop and was informed that they live well and interact with each other which they are but no information was given about the ph levels and individual requirements. the tetras also seem to be fine with my betta they seem to be swiming around together there is no evidence of any fin nipping the betta looks better and better if thats possible so maybe the tetras can go to a new home also which will leave me with the Betta and the Guppies but i still need algae eaters sugestions?
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 6/1/2009 17:06
Re: 40 ltr Tropical tank needs bottom feeders/plecos????? #10
That's really shocking stocking advice for a 40l...

Unfortunately your not the first to receive bad advice or no advice at all from a pet shop, very few truly care or know enough about fish to ethically sell them. Its up to us to make sure we learn what we can to pick up the slack.

Guppy's and a Betta would be a no no in my book, especially in a tank so small, your really not leaving yourself with an awful lot of options to be honest. Are you after algae eaters because you have recurring algae problems? If so buying fish to eat it is usually the worst thing you can do, some alga are inedible and won't be touched, what is eaten is only converted to nutrients by the fish and excreted into the water to fuel more algae.

No chance at all of an upgrade on the tank size? It will give you something to work with and make sure the fish you have get the best...
Resized Image