(1) 2 »
BLACKWIDOW BLACKWIDOW
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/5/2005 1:06
MY FISH ARE GOING MISSING #1
Hello, Ive had two very large ponds for about twenty years now. Ive got dogs so Ive never really had much bother with cats in the garden.
One pond holds my very big fish, the younger in the other.
I have just been making the pond for the younger fish bigger so the netting was not over the pond. This morning to my horror I found about 15 maybe more of my young fish gone. Thay were about 6ins long some were larger. Can a Herron take this many fish in the early hours of one mornimg. My garden is very secure, and I can't see how anyone could get in to steal my fish without my dogs hearing them.
Tamianth Tamianth
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 27/5/2005 4:59
Re: MY FISH ARE GOING MISSING #2
Yes, or a raccoon, and both are very clever. I'd think Heron though! :( They don't miss any opportunity's for a free meal!
We never stop learning!
BLACKWIDOW BLACKWIDOW
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 27/5/2005 5:33
Re: MY FISH ARE GOING MISSING #3
Hi Tamianth, Ive just sat up all night at the window incase someone was stealing my fish, and sure enough 5am the biggest heron Ive ever seen come out of nowhere straight into my pond. Now he's had a taste of my fish will netting alone stop him ?
Anonymous  
Re: MY FISH ARE GOING MISSING #4
from wot i have seen of my next door when this happened to them. the herron won't stop coming till there's nothing left to come for.
Unless you scare him away. I sure there are way to stop them. so you may have to search around to find them.
Euryale Euryale
  • Brackish Moderator
  • Brackish Moderator
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 27/5/2005 8:52
Re: MY FISH ARE GOING MISSING #5
Quote:

Tamianth wrote:
Yes, or a racoon

Not likely in Herfordshire
Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/5/2005 9:15
Re: MY FISH ARE GOING MISSING #6
Hello there Goodness you must have been shattered staying up all night, but at least you found out who the culprit was not nice losing fish at the best of times but to think they have been eaten by a heron so sad they are magnificent birds but can be a nightmare to pond lovers and can wipe out a pond in no time best get that net back on asp and hopefully our pondies can give you some tips on the best way to scare them off
captk captk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Posted on: 27/5/2005 9:22
Re: MY FISH ARE GOING MISSING #7
I'm so sorry that you are having heron problems.

On top of netting, you can also try stringing strong fishing lines zigzag across the pond. If the heron can't find a solid footing, it will be less inclined to go hunting. Installing sensor (spot)lights might be another option. Also provide hidding places for the fish. Decent lengths of PVC drain pipes will give them some shelter in case of emergency. Good luck!
I know enough to know that I don't know enough
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 27/5/2005 15:52
Re: MY FISH ARE GOING MISSING #8
im sure theres a thread in the pond section about heron deterants, do you have a photo of the ponds so we can advise on the best deterant for you
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 27/5/2005 18:06
Re: MY FISH ARE GOING MISSING #9
Beautiful birds arent they and big?
A net will stop the heron PROVIDING it is on a frame work, taut, more than a beak's length clear of the water and of fine enough mesh to stop the heron's head going through.

If fine mesh and slack it will still be able to snatch, injury or spear fish but may not be able to get them past the net.

I speak from experience
Resized Image

If it can fish from the side, it will do that as well so you need to block side entry too.

Question, did yours actually land straight into the pond? If so I think it is probably the same bird and it knows your pond, normally they are VERY wary and wade in. They are also night time fishers, my neighbour spooked one at 2am.
Anonymous  
Re: MY FISH ARE GOING MISSING #10
heres a good deterrant. get an air rifle, and when it lands. shoot the thing in the backside. it will do no damage, but it will scare the **** out of it, and it probably wouldn't come back.