(1) 2 »
Brendan 1 Brendan 1
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/11/2008 11:19
Advice on an automatic fish-feeder #1
Can anyone give advice on a good automatic fish-feeders for holidays? I just don't trust those dissolving food blocks, although I have used them.

I have bought a Fish-Mate F14 automatic feeder (not used it yet), but I've now noticed that it releases each feed over a 2 hour period. Which would probably result in my 2 bigger greedier fish, getting all the food, with the others going hungry.

Can anyone recommend a good automatic fish feeder that delivers each meal in one hit (rather than gradually over a long time)?

Many thanks
gturfrey gturfrey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Caresheets
  • Posted on: 20/11/2008 11:35
Re: Advice on an automatic fish-feeder #2
I think blocks are your best bet. I dont trust auto feeders, what if the batteries go? motor fault? power cut? fish starve to death! and die horribly. Ok over the top but you get my point.
Original Image
Freakyshrimp Freakyshrimp
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 20/11/2008 12:35
Re: Advice on an automatic fish-feeder #3
If you have a look on PFK website they have done some reviews on auto-feeders, look through buyers guides which is on the reviews tab.HTH
[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/uploads/photos/1472.jpg]Original Image[/ur
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 20/11/2008 12:50
Re: Advice on an automatic fish-feeder #4
I wouldn't use the blocks, you don't want that amount of food just sitting in the tank polluting the water. Auto-feeders are the best option after having someone that knows what they're doing coming round to feed the fish

Some autofeeders are better than others. Eheim do a good one, it's simple to use and it's never let me down. This is the one- http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/aquar ... eheim-autofeeder-274.html

The downside to this one is that you can only have 1 type of food in there so if you want catfish pellets as well as flakes you would have to get a different autofeeder or just get 2 of the eheim one
Brendan 1 Brendan 1
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 20/11/2008 14:22
Re: Advice on an automatic fish-feeder #5
The Eheim autofeeder does look good, but with the Eheim it looks like you have to keep the top lid of your tank open, as opposed to having a small hole in the tank lid which can be covered over when the feeder is not in use. Is there a way to use an Eheim autofeeder without having to keep the tank lid open?
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 20/11/2008 14:28
Re: Advice on an automatic fish-feeder #6
Depends on your tank. I leave the lid open and slide the condensation cover over just enough to let the food in. The feeder has a fan in it to stop the food getting damp.
Brendan 1 Brendan 1
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 20/11/2008 14:42
Re: Advice on an automatic fish-feeder #7
That's something else I don't have, a condensation cover. Are they necessary? And the one I have seen are just a flat piece of corrugated plastic, which would make them a real pain for feeding etc.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 20/11/2008 14:51
Re: Advice on an automatic fish-feeder #8
Yeah they do cut down on condensation a lot. The best ones are the sliding glass ones. Does your tank have a little glass shelf about an inch from the top? This is where you rest the runners for the condensation cover.
Brendan 1 Brendan 1
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 20/11/2008 15:23
Re: Advice on an automatic fish-feeder #9
It doesn't have a shelf as such, but it does have a glass piece going across the middle, and this is resting on glass pieces on either side (each about 4 inches long). Is that what you mean by a glass shelf? My tank is also bow-fronted, would that make fitting a condensation tray tricky?
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/11/2008 16:02
Re: Advice on an automatic fish-feeder #10
I have a Rena bow fronted tank and the lid is also the condensation cover. Some tanks are designed like this so condensation runs straight back into the tank. If you can post a photo of your tank or identify its make and model someone may be able to tell you if a condensation cover is required.