(1) 2 3 »
Anonymous  
Revitaliser tonic question #1
Hi there

Someone at work told me about this site and said you might be able to help me.

I have a little black telescope who does n't look happy The fin on his back is stuck down and he looks nervous. The man at Pets at Home sold me some king british revitiliser tonic to perk him up and told me to switch off my sponge filter for 12 hours overnight. If I have the filter off for this long will the good bactirea die off and will it kill the wee man.

I hope Fishyfeet will reply because my pal says he is an expert.

Cheers
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/7/2004 23:33
Re: Revitaliser tonic question #2
Hello smallfry and welcome to fishkeeping fishyfeet will be pleased for the vote of confidence but he is actually a she Now about being told to switch your filter off no don't as the bacteria will die off for sure and you will need to cycle the tank again and that will be worse for the fish, can I ask do you test your water at all for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph as this will tell you a lot and it maybe the reason your black moor has its fin down not looking very happy, also did you cycle the tank before adding the fish or with the fish and is the cycle complete, if you have the time I would recommend reading over some of the older posts as you will find a lot of information already written that you may find useful.
Anonymous  
Re: Revitaliser tonic question #3
Hi Goldy

Ta very much for the reply

Bless you you've saved wee Sootys bacon

Can I use the tonic without switching off the filter or will doing that kill the good bactirea. If the answer to that is yes is there a tonic I can use instead?

My friend told me to test with strips and the results are nitrate 10, nitrite OK, GH more than 7, KH 0-3 deg and PH 7.2 and yes I did cycle my tank for a month like it said on the leaflet. I don't think there was anything I could of done diferent.

Cheers
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 14/7/2004 23:54
Re: Revitaliser tonic question #4
I think the reason the guy told you to switch the internal filter off while using the tonic was so that the filter did not filter the tonic back out as soon as you had put it in the tank if you test your water parimeters and they are ok and you haven't opened the tonic yet then I would take it back to the shop and suggest trying some aquarium tonic salt first as it is so easy to use and perfectly fine with filters not affecting the bacteria etc.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2004 0:00
Re: Revitaliser tonic question #5
Quote:
smallfry wrote
My friend told me to test with strips and the results are nitrate 10, nitrite OK, GH more than 7, KH 0-3 deg and PH 7.2 and yes I did cycle my tank for a month like it said on the leaflet. I don't think there was anything I could of done different.

Sorry I missed that bit

Quote:
nitrite ok
it should be 0
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/7/2004 8:59
Re: Revitaliser tonic question #6
Hi Smallfry

Goldy i wonder if the guy told Small fry to switch the filter off because it has activated carbon in it??
Activated Carbon absorbs the medicine out of the water, i think?

Smallfry if there was ever a treatment i would recommend - for almost all ailments with my fish it would be Aquarium Tonic Salt
I use it often - (just add a little to the tank in solution) for example when my clumsy Oranda split his dorsal fin-just to keep fungus or infection out and the other fish in the tank aren't affected by it.
And it's very cheap at 99p for a big box
Resized Image
Anonymous  
Re: Revitaliser tonic question #7
mmm sorry i didnt get notified of this post, but it seems you are in good hands, if you have carbon in your filter it will remove the medication, dont turn of the filter, just remove the carbon (usually the black pad) I never use carbon in my filter, except to remove unwanted medication.
I dont think the tonic will cure your problem but will do no harm, seems your fish is stressed, the question is why?
Water quality is usually the first culprit, thats why goldy asked you if you have tested the water. Also what size tank is it, what water do you change and how often, what other fish do you have, how big is the filter.

Aquarium salt is a good all round health tonic as is tee tree oil. How is the little chap today, by the way my name is diane.

I am an expert am i, who said so, i am very pleased, but ive actually learnt a lot from goldy, who still has a coldwater tank, so I know the advise given is spot on.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2004 11:30
Re: Revitaliser tonic question #8
Why thank you Di I must add that it is actually three coldwater tanks soon to be four
Anonymous  
Re: Revitaliser tonic question #9
Hi Diane

Ta for the advice. I am going to swop the revitilizor tonic for some of that tonic salt stuff. My boyfriend Jason gave me the tank on my birthday a month ago it is 92 litres. I change a quarter of the water every week like it says in the book. Jason bought me 2 wee minnows three weeks ago I called them fish and chips they seem happy enough. My mum bought me Sooty at the weekend and he has been awful nervous and I just want to see his liitle fin stuck up again. I never thought I could get so fond of a fish. The filter by the way Diane came with the rena tank it is a big canister sponge one which goes on the inside. If we get Sooty well I am going to buy a ranchu I was going to call it Sweep but now I want anybody that helped on this site to suggest a name and I will pick the one I like best

Cheers
Anonymous  
Re: Revitaliser tonic question #10
Hi Diane

I put in the tonic salt at tea time how long does it take to work. Is it a good idea to add some of this every time I change the water like it says on the bottle. Wee Sooty tucked into his flakes today that is something and what is so cute is that last night he slept behind a big rock. I feel a bit happier now but will be so chuffed if he makes it. Its looking good though he seemed quite perky when I came home at the end of my shift