« 1 (2)
fishy_tom fishy_tom
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 16:10
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #11
I have my Figure 8s in a community tank with neons, rummy nose tetras, black widows and some corries. They also used to live with harlequins and mollies and they never nipped anyones fins. They will occasionally chase each other at dinner time but never get as far as biting. It seems as long as they are well fed they don't go for other fish. Like i've said they've been okay with other fish the same size. I do have tanks with lots of hiding places and quite a few plants for hiding in which seems to help. 20 gallons should be alright for 3 puffers. I would have some tall plants breaking it up and caves to hide in.

I haven't found mine to be fussy eaters. Anything meaty they will go for, true carnivores they are But as with other fish they all have different temperaments.
To Dive or not to Dive.....
What a stupid question

Resized Image
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 16:14
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #12
Quote:

fishy_tom wrote:
But as with other fish they all have different temperaments.

Just like to stress this, while Tom's F8's seem quite well behaved if you do get one that turns grumpy they do have the equipment to shred a fish 3 times their size. Again if you get a nice docile friendly one tetra's or barbs could shred his fins as they tend to be slow swimmers when a meal isn't promised.
fishy_tom fishy_tom
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 16:37
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #13
Quote:

EagleC wrote:
... they tend to be slow swimmers when a meal isn't promised.

It seems puffers have 2 speeds. Meandering or Warp 9. They swim for the most part with their side fins waving back and forth like a seahorse or trumpet fish and their tails folded. Its amazing to see them as they can turn upside down and rotate around something that looks tasty. But they do this with their tails folded, and if they get spooked, BOOM their off. If they use their tails you will not see a faster fish, it really is blink and you'll miss it. It also leads to worries of fin rot as you can't see their tails properly most of the time.

As Eagle C says they do have a sharp beak that could shred anything they don't like. If you do have some you will need to have the facility to move them or their companions if it all kicks off. I haven't had to and hope i won't. But if needed then i have other tanks they can go in and holding nets etc.

When i looked at getting these fish i found it really hard to get proper information on them. According to the web they are fresh water/brackish/full marine fish who are peaceful/a bit nippy/the devil incarnate. So it is anyones guess. They are great fish though and as long as you are prepared they'll be very rewarding to keep.
To Dive or not to Dive.....
What a stupid question

Resized Image