chloesnan chloesnan
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Suffolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/10/2008 18:06
Hole in pond liner #1
Hi all
There's not much going on here recently so I hope theres lots of you waiting to answer my question. While cleaning my pond with a pondvac I punctured the liner, I don't remember what the liner was made of. Is there any product to mend it without emptying the pond and can anyone give me any tips how to find the hole. I know its a bad time of the year to do this but the water level is losing about an inch a day.
Thanks
Bye for now Chloesnan
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 26/10/2008 18:39
Re: Hole in pond liner #2
hey,

It has been a bit quiet on the pond section, always is this time of the year.

Unforuntly theres only one way to find a hole and that to let the water drop untill it drops no more and then its along the water line, however its easier said than done.

There are products you can use underwater and the best i know of is a product called Innotec Adseal which is like a glue, so you'll need a patch and just glue it on.
goody5555 goody5555
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From -
  • Posted on: 28/10/2008 13:40
Re: Hole in pond liner #3
it must be catching i have awoke to same sort of problem losing water out my pond its been fine for the last 4 months since build and now just decided to pump water down the side of the pond wall instead of over the waterfall at least i know where it is going lol
so this morning took the bull by the horns and rerouted my pipes and emptied my small feeder/plant pool pond thingy took out liner and removed my waterfall now am going to alter the brick work and make a new waterfall out of brick then render the small pond /pool on inside and then going to have this small pond fiber glassed so will not leak again!!!!
will also get a quote for having the big pond done next year cos after speaking to my friend who dose G R P he said that for him to do if would not have cost me much more than my liner cost me so i will see and i will let you all know how i get on
goody5555
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 29/10/2008 13:53
Re: Hole in pond liner #4
Chloesnan, you may not have a hole at all. Overflows are far more common with liner ponds than actual leaks. Holing the liner with a pond vac would take some doing, hence if you weren't aware of it at the time, you probably stepped on the rim of the pond and things shifted enough for the water to pour out over the liner in one spot. Look for wet soil just outside your pond. If you find nothing, find the top of the liner all the way around the pond, moving any rocks that obscure you view. Odds are good you'll find your problem there.

If you've got a waterfall, make sure you didn't inadvertently move something that's causing the water is now splashing out of the pond.

If it's not an overflow, it's probably the seal at the skimmer or filter. Check behind the liner at both locations. If it's more than just damp, you've found the leak.

If you really do have a hole in the liner, Fredrick's method is likely the only one that will work. You can try drops of milk, cream, or special leak-finding dyes, but these don't work well for small leaks.
richard2509 richard2509
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 9/11/2008 15:00
Re: Hole in pond liner #5
hello....i had the same problem and was losing about 2-3 inches a day...i just let it go down until it stopped and because the water was so clean i was able to spot a couple of tears in the liner...a stone had fell/was knocked in to cause the damage...i used a 2 part epoxy type sealer which cures under water..bought it from my local koi centre
chloesnan chloesnan
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 9/11/2008 20:32
Re: Hole in pond liner #6
Thanks Richard, its becoming a big problem the water is more than half way down now only another 14" or so I can't let it go much more without harming the fish, I suspect the hole is on the bottom of the pond, but I've got no way to house my 35 fish and I can't think what to do. I wonder if I should keep refilling until spring and empty it then but I've still got the problem of where to put that many fish.
Bye for now Chloesnan
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/11/2008 22:21
Re: Hole in pond liner #7
depending on funds you can get the big blue storage tubs you see at the lfs if you have a garage or shed you could put it in ther and transfer your filter to the tub over winter then fix the pond for next spring

hear you go vireos sizes just to give you an idea of what to look for ill see if i can fined a uk deeler

http://www.reln.com.au/water-tubs-p-11.html
[img]http://i275.p