(1) 2 »
meerkat meerkat
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/7/2004 19:45
Yikes! Air pump failure #1
I got home this evening to find my kitchen mysteriously quiet...then noticed that although my air pump was working, there was no air reaching my BiOrb. PANIC! Did all the usual stuff like checking the fuse etc, but still nothing. I rang my wonderful fish shop and got great calm advice...I've now checked the innards of the pump, and as far as I can see, it's not pumping any air out. So it's back to the shop tomorrow to pick up a new air pump of a higher spec. I just hope my guys will be okay overnight. I've turned the light off, and not given them any food...anything else I should do??
Anonymous  
Re: Yikes! Air pump failure #2
I cant think of anything else you could maybe do a water change if things look desperate, ie, fish gasping at waters surface, i assume you have no other airstone available, so is it not filtering the water either, thats more of an immediate problem. Not feeding was good, I would still do a water change to be on the safe side. di
meerkat meerkat
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 13/7/2004 21:52
Re: Yikes! Air pump failure #3
Thanks, Di. Fish seem okay - no gasping. I've checked that the air stone isn't blocked, and it seems okay. I'll get a new pump tomorrow, and pray that Goldie, Scales and Serpie are okay by the time I get home tomorrow. And I'll do a water test and water change when I get home. This is horrid.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/7/2004 8:59
Re: Yikes! Air pump failure #4
If its not one thing its another isn't it hope you get sorted today meerkat, how does the pump work does it filter the water too or is that seperate
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 14/7/2004 9:48
Re: Yikes! Air pump failure #5
I know goldy, i came home a few weeks ago and a very paniced mum told me she had to switch all my aquarium stuff off as it was making a very loud and dangerous sound - filter included
Fortunatley this was a very short time before i got home, so i think the filter bacteria survived , i tested the water loads following this and it was the same

What had happened was somehow the filter had got an air bubble in it and was pumping dry air-you could hear it from outside of the house apparently! and it is usually silent
Fortunatley, no damage done-due to mums quick thinking but that could have been a disaster. Not even sure how it happened??? so would be hard to prevent
Resized Image
Anonymous  
Re: Yikes! Air pump failure #6
meerkat, you havent said if the filter is working, if not, be careful as the bacteria that had built up will have died and you may have to recycle your tank over again, meanwhile you will have to do constant water changes to your water.
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 14/7/2004 12:11
Re: Yikes! Air pump failure #7
That's what i was afraid of, when my mum had to turn my filter off - having the tank cycle again. But i think it was off approx 20 minutes or less, and having tested the water for a few weeks now, nothing seems to have changed
I was wondering if maybe-just a thought-but i have those Rena Bio Chem stars in my filter which the bacteria love to live in-maybe the helped when the filter was off???

I think i was very lucky that day
Resized Image
meerkat meerkat
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 14/7/2004 17:15
Re: Yikes! Air pump failure #8
Phew. Went to the aquatic shop this morning, and they've given me a new, more powerful air pump (free - good for them). It's up and running, and I've done a 20% water change.
Goldy - yes, the pump ran the filter as well. Does this mean all the bacteria will have died?? Will my guys be okay??
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/7/2004 17:32
Re: Yikes! Air pump failure #9
Quote:
meerkat wrote
Does this mean all the bacteria will have died??
Its likely yes the best you can do is keep checking the water parimetors and if needed do daily water changes untill the bacteria is back to full speed, your fish will be ok as long as you monitor the water, good luck
meerkat meerkat
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 14/7/2004 20:43
Re: Yikes! Air pump failure #10
Thanks, Goldy. Did a nitrite test and it's at 0.3mg, much to my surprise. I expected it to be higher. And Goldie, Serpie and Scales are frisking around the orb. I'll do another water change tomorrow, plus check the amonia and nitrate levels. Blimey, I never want to go through that again! I think I'll buy a spare pump, just to be on the safe side.