(1) 2 3 »
Wendy Wendy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 17:38
Appeal for advice re poorly goldfish #1
I have two goldfish, both 19 yrs, who have lived in tank all their life. Sorry this is going to be a bit lengthy but hoping for help with diagnosis. I have read the other postings and suggested diagnosis pages, but - About 6 wks ago, the bigger fish developed a white lump on his left eye which grew rapidly. 3 weeks ago, he lost his balance and now can only lie on his left side. He can't swim, he can only spiral. The white lump is now pinkish and his face is quite inflamed. I have tried so many places for advice and also to have aquatic vets visit him as he is too ill to transport. I have tried Myxazin, and now on advice of manufacturer, Paragon. So far no change, except that his right side is looking a bit sore and today I have noticed a few small black patches. A lovely vet has been out to see him, but I am also hoping to draw on experience here. My fish is obviously suffering and I am very anxious for advice. So far it's been suggested (a) internal bacteria (b) tumour (c) parasite. I wonder if it might even be TB. Hoping for some advice and thanks for reading this, Wendy
Tamianth Tamianth
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 17:54
Re: Appeal for advice re poorly goldfish #2
Hi Wendy,
Sorry the fish is doing so poorly! :( Thats certainly a lot of years for a goldy and you've done well to have him/her so long! :)

With TB involved, you would most likely see a "pineconing" effect of the scales, aka dropsy. :( Are you seeing scales raising? Whats your water parameters look like? Ph, ammonia,nitrite, nitrates, KH-Gh? Black marks tend to denote some ammonia burn.. so have you had any ammonia spike recently? Meds can muck up the filters and bio bugs.

IMHO, it does sound more internal, and I would go with medicated food such as romet, metro meds, aqua meds to get the antibiotics inside quicker. Treating the water generally treats externaly and fish absorb very little inside. The other alternative would be injection of Baytril and this has to be from a vet, though you can give the shots yourself!

Tumors are likely, Goldies do tend to develope them as they get older. Depending on where they are, and what they are, they may/may not effect the fish.
We never stop learning!
AmiJane AmiJane
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 17:59
Re: Appeal for advice re poorly goldfish #3
Hello Wendy

Welcome to the site - although by the sounds of it not through happy circumstances

I've just sadly lost a fish to tb and by the sounds of it - I don't think it is what your goldfish has. When you say the fish spirals - does his spine seem abnormal? You say the right side looks a bit sore, is that just the black patches or is there more to that? Can you describe the black patches in a bit more detail, do they look like spots?

It's nice that you can get hold of vets that are willing to look at fish and come out to see them.
AmiJane AmiJane
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 18:14
Re: Appeal for advice re poorly goldfish #4
Tamianth, unfortunately we don't get medicated food over here, we not that lucky.
Wendy Wendy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 18:47
Re: Appeal for advice re poorly goldfish #5
Hello to Tamianth and Ami21, thank you for welcome and replying so quickly. I have checked the water frequently (and frantically) but so far it has been OK. PH and water hardness perhaps a bit high, but what they have been used to, so I was advised not to treat the water for that. I have also been looking for pineconing, but I don't think he has that, although unless it was very marked I am not sure I would realise. I have been looking on internet and saw images of dropsy, among others, and his scales don't look raised in that way. I will check for ammonia again now, just in case.

Ami21, his spine is a bit bent, although it has been for a few yrs, but never seemed to trouble him (at least, I hope it didn't). But now that he is lying on his side he looks a bit like a 'u' shape, poor thing. The area I said was sore-looking is a bit red but covers only a few scales, and there are about 9 sooty-looking spots. They are more or less round shape, a little bit bigger than a full-stop, starting at the sore patch and towards his tail. Of course I hope he hasn't got TB, equally I hope it is treatable, although he does look really poorly.

I was lucky to find an interested and compassionate vet, I approached several and was despairing of ever finding one who was prepared to visit. I'll check if she is happy for me to pass her details on!

Thanks again, W

halfpastdead halfpastdead
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 19:21
Re: Appeal for advice re poorly goldfish #6
is there any way you could post a pic of the poor fish? it might make finding out whats wrong that bit easyer

Resized Image
Wendy Wendy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 20:29
Re: Appeal for advice re poorly goldfish #7
Hi - I do have pics which have attached ('big fish', and 'eye2'). I bought the camera specially when I couldn't find a vet but v, v irritatingly, it isn't very good. When I took the picture of his eye, he was lying on his right side, which is unusual for him. In the image, his eye looks better than it does in real life, probably due to the wretched camera as well. Having just looked at the pics, I'm afraid they aren't much use. Will try and borrow a better camera.

I did wonder if his right side might be getting sore because of friction from the water?
Thanks very much, W
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/5/2005 18:41
Re: Appeal for advice re poorly goldfish #8
If it was an ulcer then you could have treated it, but if it is a tumour then there is no hope sorry

see link:

http://www.bensfish.wanadoo.co.uk/fish%20diseases.htm

Have also answered on your photo
Tamianth Tamianth
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 23/5/2005 19:44
Re: Appeal for advice re poorly goldfish #9
Ami,
Thanks for reminding me, I do tend to forget there are things (medications specifically) not available! :( Sad that!

Wendy,
Sometimes bent spines can be genetic defect, but it can also be caused from lack of vitamin c (scoliosis) or from having gotten zapped by electricity. Sometimes if heaters go bad, or other equiment can do this. A varied diet with fruits and vegies is good, they love Oranges. :)

High gh & kh are not problems, but welcome. The calcium and magnesium in both are good for goldfish since they require both. Plus they go hand in hand with balanceing ph and keeping it stabile. Stability is a key item with water quality!

We never stop learning!
AmiJane AmiJane
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 24/5/2005 9:54
Re: Appeal for advice re poorly goldfish #10
Doesn't sound too good Wendy

This is a link to do with fish tb http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... php?topic_id=1514&forum=1

bent spine - especially a U shape doesn't sound good. Although I am turning more and more towards the fact it could be a tumor.

I know how hard it must be to watch a fish you have loved for so long be in this way, if you think he is suffering it might be kinder to let him sleep. I'm sure one of the kind vets would help you out.

It's such a pain in the bum that we can't have the medicated food and medication that America gets - you would think after all this time we would be catching up