katty katty
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/4/2004 21:55
Biorb #1
I have recently bought a biorb and have bought 2 small/medium size gold fish. I would like to buy another but the water in my boirb is already cloudy and I have quite alot of algae growth. I was thinking of buying some type of algae eater but i'm not sure if they are suiable for this type of tank. These are the first fish i've had and I want to mak ethings as nice as possible for them! I hope someone can give me some advice. Thanks.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/4/2004 22:47
Re: Biorb #2
Hello and welcome Katty You say you have just bought the biorb did you buy the light kit too and how long has it been set up for, they are nice but not really suitable for goldfish as the fish grow quite big (given the right size tank or pond) and are very messy, you should be ok keeping them in it for a while, but I wouldn't buy any more fish, stick to the 2, did you cycle the biorb before you put the fish in at all, as the cloudyness could be because the filter is trying to build up good bacteria to handle the fish waste or you may be slightly over feeding, I would suggest doing part water changes about 20% every other day and get some test strips to monitor the water parimeters, if you read some of the other posts on here you will find information that will be of some help and then we can sort out the algae problem
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/4/2004 0:25
Re: Biorb #3
Katty I forgot to ask what type of goldfish you have regular or fancy and do you test your water at all, because too much nitrate and phosphate will promote algae growth, and northwest water add phosphate to their water.