(1) 2 »
Gemma Gemma
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/10/2008 17:19
My fish is sick and I cant figure out why - could someone help please. #1
Hi I dont know if you will be able to help. but over the last week my fish has not been itself. All his fins are down and he has started to hover at the top of the tank. He is just a normal goldfish. We have a filter and air bubbles to help with the water. There is no obvious physical signs (besides the floating and his fins being down) and I dont know what to do. in the last few days he doesnt want to eat and he just seems to be properly struggling to live. I dont think he will make it to the weekend... any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Gemma
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 7/10/2008 17:26
Re: My fish is sick and I cant figure out why - could someone help please. #2
Hi Gemma - welcome to Fk, sorry to hear your fish isn't too good

Please could you give us a little more info on your tank and set up? The following would be really helpful

Size of tank in Litre or Gallons, if you don't know the water capacity then the physical size of the tank L x W x H?

What filter do you use?

How long as the tank been setup?

What water tests have you done and what are the readings pH, Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, Phosphate, water temperature?

When was the last water change and how much did you change?

A list of all the inhabitants?

When did you last add fish, plants, ornaments or other tank equipment?

Have you added any medication?

Can you post a photo?

Sorry its a long list but the more you can tell us the more we can help you.

I won't be around tonight I'm afraid but with this info I'm sure there will be plenty of others on who will be able to assist
It's Not Just A Fish
Gemma Gemma
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 7/10/2008 21:34
Re: My fish is sick and I cant figure out why - could someone help please. #3
I hope my answers are sufficient for someone to help me. Thanks for asking them!

Size of tank in Litre or Gallons, if you don't know the water capacity then the physical size of the tank L x W x H? Its a 11 litre tank

What filter do you use? Its a Aqua-Flow 50

How long as the tank been setup? 9 months, we had another fish as well for the first 3 months but unfortunately it died (we think it was ill when we bought it). The goldfish has been alone in the tank for approx 6/7 months.

What water tests have you done and what are the readings pH, Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, Phosphate, water temperature? We have never had to check the water so no haven’t checked it.

When was the last water change and how much did you change? We usually change approx 20/30% weekly/fortnightly. However about 2 weeks ago the tank became extremely cloudy/dirty very quickly and the fish looked very ill and just sat on the bottom so we did do a full change of the water, however the fish is still ill, but this time he is not using his fins (being very lazy) has been showing signs of gulping fast and now not eating. The water in our area is a hard water area so we use ‘tap/water safe’ product.

A list of all the inhabitants? Only the fish and a plant (weed) which we replace every 2/3 weeks.

When did you last add fish, plants, ornaments or other tank equipment? Only the plant (see above)

Have you added any medication? Yes – The fish was prone to white spot and also because of the hard water we were recommended to use King British Methylene Blue which I did use when I changed the water this time.

I hope someone can help. I really don’t want Steve my goldfish to die and would really appreciate someone’s help.

Thanks again in advance. I have added a photo as well.

Gemma

Attach file:

jpg  (1,539.57 KB)
7466_48ebc7bd04408.jpg 3072X2304 px
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 7/10/2008 21:47
Re: My fish is sick and I cant figure out why - could someone help please. #4
Hi Gemma, welcome to FK

I think the problem is related to the size of the tank Goldfish are large messy waste machines. They can grow to around 8-12" depending on breed (fancies are smaller) and need a minimum of 30 gallons of 1-3 fancies, or 55+gal for a common. Goldfish tanks need to be overfiltered by up to double the tanksize (30gal tank needs 60gal filtration).

Therefore, 11ltrs is tiny and at 6-7+ months, he'll be becoming stunted

Also, despite what you've previously been told, every fishkeeper needs to test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, because ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish - to the point where even a little amount can harm the fish. The only safe reading for these toxins are 0ppm or mg/l. Nitrate is safer, but still best to keep it below 40ppm. We recommend the API liquid based test kit. Comes with everything you need.

It's never really a good idea to carry out a 100% water change The sudden changes in perameters, plus the stress of being moved will shock the fish, which can actually do more harm than good 50% is considered an emergency water change. For maintenance, it shouldn't exceed 25% per week.

What's the water treatment that you use? Does it deal with chlorine/chloramine?
T.L
Resized Image
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 7/10/2008 22:08
Re: My fish is sick and I cant figure out why - could someone help please. #5
Yep, what Linz said. Have a read of these, it should explain a few things you need to know-

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... php?topic_id=559&forum=14

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... ection/item.php?itemid=12

You should also stop using the methylene blue, that will be wiping out all the good bacteria in the filter.
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/10/2008 13:42
Re: My fish is sick and I cant figure out why - could someone help please. #6
Just one more point on top of what the others have said. Your goldfish isn't exactly a normal goldfish. Common Goldfish have a single tail and are more of a classic fish shape. Fancies like yours have a double tail fin and tend to be fatter in the body.
Fancies, by nature are more fragile than common goldfish and therefore may need monitoring a bit more than common goldfish. Their weaker immune systems and bulbous shape makes them more prone to disease but with care you can avoid this.
I think definatly sort out the filtration and tank size first and make sure the water you use is treated with anti chlorine solution (tapsafe or similar). The tank should realy be cycled for at very least 2 weeks before adding the fish but this is an emergency so your going to have to do what you can for him.
The advice given by the guys here is spot on so just listen to the advisors and you wont go far wrong.
Good luck with Steve! I hope he sticks around for you!
Gemma Gemma
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 8/10/2008 15:43
Re: My fish is sick and I cant figure out why - could someone help please. #7
Thanks everyone for all the advice you have given. I am going to attempt to get my fish better. I have really learnt alot, its such a shame that some pet shops dont do this for you. I have just ordered the nitrate testing kit, some more tapsafe so as soon as they arrive (hopefully Steve is strong enough to last that long) and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again. I am so glad I found this website, i'll definately be back if I need to know something. You are all fabulous people!

Gemma
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/10/2008 15:47
Re: My fish is sick and I cant figure out why - could someone help please. #8
gemma,
you need ammonia, nitrite and pH kits as well as nitrate.. full master test kits usually available on ebay for around £15-20..

good luck with steve
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Gemma Gemma
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 8/10/2008 16:01
Re: My fish is sick and I cant figure out why - could someone help please. #9
I have ordered a API LIQUID NITRITE TEST KIT.. will this not cover all of that? if no, can you recommend what products I need.

Thanks

Gemma
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/10/2008 16:33
Re: My fish is sick and I cant figure out why - could someone help please. #10
no that one will only contain one testing kit to check for nitrite only.. you need something like this...

link to api master test kit 'click here'

Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...