« 1 (2)
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 13:15
Re: Regional forum areas? #11
I don't like change for changes sake, especially if I can see it creating more work and disrupting site continuity.

There are cases of forums being taken to court and having to pay compensation for libel/slander or whatever it is. As a site owner you are held at least partially responsible for what you allow to go on the site. Although P@H get a slating quite often it is always either comments that are clearly opinion, relevent to local stores that FA cant be expected to be aware of or provable facts. Certain comments have had to be removed or edited in the past.

If an LFS has just opened, then let people know.
Use the general forum and let everyone know.

If an LFS has closed, let people know.

If you fancy meeting up for a pint, let people know.

For shops we already have a Fishkeeping Shops section and there is an update in production that allows various additional features such as comments and ratings. If/when its finished you'll be able to review all the fish stores within a specified range of your postcode. By star ratings and by moderated comments. What I'd really like to see is more lfs workers and owners on the site learning, teaching us what goes on behind the scenes and productively working with us towards improving the industry as a whole.

It's not up to me in the slightest, but I do have a little experience running forums and I have a fair idea of what the general trend is in postings here. You asked for peoples opinions and thats mine. Sorry if you don't like it.
Animal Mother Animal Mother
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 13:53
Re: Regional forum areas? #12
Quote:

TetraLinz:
Just my twopenn'orth AM - no need to get defensive!!

Wasn't getting defensive, you must have read my post with the wrong intonation.

Quote:

EagleC wrote:
For shops we already have a Fishkeeping Shops section and there is an update in production that allows various additional features such as comments and ratings. If/when its finished you'll be able to review all the fish stores within a specified range of your postcode. By star ratings and by moderated comments.

Well that's exactly what I was trying to promote/encourage the creation of. I wasn't aware that there is one in production. The site will be of much more use when it is finished.

Quote:

EagleC wrote:What I'd really like to see is more lfs workers and owners on the site learning, teaching us what goes on behind the scenes and productively working with us towards improving the industry as a whole.

I am not quite sure how you would go about that. Maybe writing/leafleting all of the major LFSs in the country.

It could be a good way for LFSs to find out that their service and reputaion is bad and will encourage them to improve things.

Quote:

EagleC wrote:
It's not up to me in the slightest, but I do have a little experience running forums and I have a fair idea of what the general trend is in postings here. You asked for peoples opinions and thats mine. Sorry if you don't like it.

Dodn't say I didn't like you having an opinion (it is a forum after all), I just disagree with it, that's all.
Triumph Daytona 955i
Audi S6 2.2
Fluval Roma 125

NEW TANK? NEED HELP GETTING STARTED? CLICK HERE
flappinganimal flappinganimal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Caresheets
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 13:57
Re: Regional forum areas? #13
Am I the only one that reads the posts by topic rather than by which forum section its under?
Maybe because im on so much
If the topic was say, 'anyone want to meet up in london zoo?' Then the forum it was under wouldnt realy matter. I suppose if I was to post anything like that id just put it under members lounge.
Just because youre talking about an lfs in your area doesnt nesserserally (sp lol) mean others in a different area wont be interested to read it. Stick it in the general or members, saves work for admin and saves extra confusion. My view anyway
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 14:03
Re: Regional forum areas? #14
yep info on meet ups generally goes in the members lounge. shops openings and closings generally get mentioned in there too..

also news about shops is fine in either members or general section. i dont think we need any extra forums adding either.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 14:33
Re: Regional forum areas? #15
Quote:

flappinganimal wrote:
Am I the only one that reads the posts by topic rather than by which forum section its under?
Maybe because im on so much
If the topic was say, 'anyone want to meet up in london zoo?' Then the forum it was under wouldnt realy matter. I suppose if I was to post anything like that id just put it under members lounge.
Just because youre talking about an lfs in your area doesnt nesserserally (sp lol) mean others in a different area wont be interested to read it. Stick it in the general or members, saves work for admin and saves extra confusion. My view anyway

Quote:

Coralline wrote:
yep info on meetups generally goes in the members lounge. shops opeinings and closings generally get mentioned in there too..

also news about shops is fine in either members or general section. i dont think we need any extra forums adding either.

@Both: That's fine, but try and find that info 6 weeks down the line.
Triumph Daytona 955i
Audi S6 2.2
Fluval Roma 125

Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 14:51
Re: Regional forum areas? #16
Quote:

Animal Mother wrote:
@Both: That's fine, but try and find that info 6 weeks down the line.

generally we dont have too tho..

dont take this the wrong way dude, but you've only been here 5 minutes. fishadmin has a massive list of things to do to the site, maybe you could volunteer yourself to help?
no-one on here objects to new stuff/changes, but as eagle said, we have a good idea of whether something will be a useful change to all of our members, or somthign that wont get used as much, maybe the things you suggest work on other forums, but the point is there is not enough of these things going on at any one time to make it worth dedicating a whole forum section too.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 15:42
Re: Regional forum areas? #17
Quote:

Coralline wrote:

dont take this the wrong way dude, but you've only been here 5 minutes. fishadmin has a massive list of things to do to the site, maybe you could volunteer yourself to help?
no-one on here objects to new stuff/changes, but as eagle said, we have a good idea of whether something will be a useful change to all of our members, or somthign that wont get used as much, maybe the things you suggest work on other forums, but the point is there is not enough of these things going on at any one time to make it worth dedicating a whole forum section too.

I don't think it's relevant how long I've been a member.

It was just an idea, never mind.

Well, at least 1/2 of my idea has already been started to be created.
Triumph Daytona 955i
Audi S6 2.2
Fluval Roma 125