« 1 2 (3)
Andy.Pyke Andy.Pyke
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Berkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/9/2008 23:48
Re: Bloated Golden Orfe #21
I'm feeding a handful of pellets twice daily during the summer (local aquatic centre brand containing wheat flour, soya bean flour, soya oil, fish meal and permitted EEC antitoxidant). I drop this to once daily as Autumn draws in then move to winter food later.

Have just bought new tablet testing kit, having been told the testing strips and liquid aren't accurate. Water condition today measured 8.0 pH, .01 Ammonia, 10 nitrate and 0 nitrite. Haven't tested for o2 having been told that having a separate water course with 2 small falls should provide enough.

A colleague from work who used to keep fish in his youth has suggested I soak the food before giving to the fish, is this a good idea?
lilgoldy lilgoldy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 21/9/2008 1:37
Re: Bloated Golden Orfe #22
yes you can, usually done for the fancies due to their abnormal egg shape. I used to just scoop some water from the tank then put the food in and let it soak for 10-15mins then pour the lot back in. I think most people on here would be soaking their food for the fish but I wouldn't have thought your pond fish would need it.
Andy.Pyke Andy.Pyke
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Berkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/9/2008 0:37
Re: Bloated Golden Orfe #23
Just a sign off, to say many thanks for all your help, specificaly to longhairedgit. Strange to say but without the illness found in my Orfe I wouldn't have tracked down this web site: long may it flourish (the website that is, not the Ex-Orfe).

A special thanks to the Web Masters without whom this community wouldn't exist (in my experince they don't get the recognition they deserve).
lilgoldy lilgoldy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 25/9/2008 8:57
Re: Bloated Golden Orfe #24
Well said Andy I can only agree. Good onyamate.
Cheers