• Just popping in
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/9/2008 12:45
My pond :) #1
Hiya new to the site so go easy on me

i have a medium size pond in my garden its roughly 2500ltrs

i have 2 tench 3 goldfish 3 shubunkins and 3 comets

i set up pond mid last year as a wildlife pond but kids got bored of that so begining of summer holls i bought the fish and a couple of pumps and filter box.
So now the fish are happy the waters clear ish and they have decided to hav baby fish.

so my question is is my pond too small for the extra fish if any survive ?

im not going out of my way to keep them alive but a couple of the babies are changing colour and 4 or 5 times the size of the others.

do i leave the fish to sort themselves out or should i do something is basically what i am asking i think :)

p.s. have small ammounts of blanket week dont suppose theres a fool proof way of getting rid of it totally.
I pull it out regularly and the fish seem happy
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/9/2008 13:41
Re: My pond :) #2
The baby fish will have to come out if you want to definatly keep them as the other fish will just see them as dinner. But then again sometimes if you take your chances and there are plenty of hidning places for them they may be ok. What you could do if you don't want them is offer them to your LFS as they may offer you free food in return.
Blanket weed happens and quite honestly a little bit in the pond is quite healty, but loads is dangerous. Newts tend to lay their eggs in it so keep an eye out for white jelly specs in the blanket weed if you want to save them.
Another couple of fish in your pond wont be too bad but if there are fifty of the little critters then I'd advise you to ship some out to other ponds or the place you bought yours from.
Hell if i wasnt about to loose my pond Id have some but alas im moving and have to start all over again! Oh well, theres nothing like a challenge!
KiriSteele KiriSteele
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 18/9/2008 14:02
Re: My pond :) #3
Cheers for the reply

What would i need for the babies ie should i buy a small tank of some sort?

at the moment they have been in there for about 3 weeks so far they are using the water soldiers as a nursery type thing and the other fish dont tend to bother them.

i have a king lilly in the pond as well as 5 water soldiers and loads of water hyascinth (cant spell) and some elodea

at the mo the babies are mainly in the water soldiers but hide in the roots of the hyascinths and the blanket weed thats growing on the sides of the pond allthough i took some plants out and put in a large plastic box for a friend and ive noticed 2 babies in the box which are growing but doesnt seem to be as fast as the others.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/9/2008 14:18
Re: My pond :) #4
It sounds like they have enough hiding places so it's probably better to leave them. If you rescue all of them you'll end up with hundreds in a couple of years

What are the dimensions of your pond (specifically the depth)? It doesn't need to be exact, a rough guess is fine
KiriSteele KiriSteele
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 18/9/2008 14:27
Re: My pond :) #5
its about 4 feet deep by 4 feet wide by 7 feet long
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 18/9/2008 14:51
Re: My pond :) #6
i would leave them, you will have the strongest ones survive. to take them out of the pond to raise them would require quite a bit of effort, you would need a large tank and filter (even to house a few) as they will grow quickly and need a lot of food and water changeing to keep them healthy and growing, your pond is a good size, so leave them to it.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
KiriSteele KiriSteele
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 19/9/2008 7:44
Re: My pond :) #7
Many thanx