« 1 (2)
Fiddler Fiddler
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 28/6/2008 12:34
Re: axolotl feeding #11
Interesting read we are going into breeding these in the next month a new venture at the farm so anyone that keeps these and would like news on how we get on is welcome
Here to talk Crabs
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 28/6/2008 15:56
Re: axolotl feeding #12
Thats a project worthy of starting a log. Give you a hint before you start though, have groups of axolotls in very large aquaria with tons of elodea that creates midwater clusters. Groups will be more productive than isolated pairs. You just take out the eggs and raise them seperately in smaller aquaria. Study their genetics before you start too, theres tons of info on axo genetics out there.Axos are probably one of the most extensively studied animals in science.

Hope the venture works out well for you, but be aware this is a widely bred laboratory animal with a limited appeal to most keepers.Lab surplus alone will ensure they remain low cost and the market highly competitive. You might not make a great deal of money. Always nice to learn a new skill though.
Resized Image
Fiddler Fiddler
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 10/7/2008 22:03
Re: axolotl feeding #13
We took delivery of 1500 Axolotls and 250 lavae yesterday we are building up the filtration system and they are looking good i will post pictures when up and running properly if your interested.
Here to talk Crabs
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 15/7/2008 15:04
Re: axolotl feeding #14
Yeah would be great to see a blog of that up and running with lots of pics.

1500 axos, bloody hell thats some responsibility, think personally id have started with a few less than that, lol. At full adult size laid end to end thats about 0.4 kilometers of axolotl needing at least 15000 gals of water, and 20,ooo gals worth of filtration....!

I thought youd come back saying you were gonna get maybe a hundred or so, blimey what are you projecting your eggs and larvae output to be?

Gotta see that though!
Resized Image
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2008 15:34
Re: axolotl feeding #15
defenetly pick of that project a breeding program and a half is that lol
[img]http://i275.p
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/7/2008 15:47
Re: axolotl feeding #16
and what on earth are you gonna do with all the axolotls you are going to breed?!?! surely there cant be enough people that want to keep them (or are capable/willing to look after them properly) to warrant breeding so many?
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Fiddler Fiddler
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2008 21:41
Re: axolotl feeding #17
Yes mate big old responsibility i work at a Fish farm we deal in Koi, Tench and sturgeon.

The whole of downstairs has been converted to house theese as well as toad we have albino and black axolotl at the moment its starting to take shape i will get photos up as soon as we have let them settle in.
Here to talk Crabs