gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 30/6/2008 0:06
got my doradids into the main tank #1
hi all got my doradids into the main tank just a few picks going to update my blog when i get time ive got a good idea on the id but ide like a second opinion if possible LHG he eh

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image
[img]http://i275.p
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 30/6/2008 1:21
Re: got my doradids into the main tank #2
Not orinocodoras , cos the stripe does reach the eye, or acanthadoras cataphractus cos the nose is the wrong shape, so must be platydoras costatus or a platydoras armatulus, as far as keeping and size goes, much the same fish, and the subtle detail of form and finnage gives it away - probably a costatus. Therefore, you got the fish you wanted and the only other thing it could concievably be is a hugely similar fish thats only an inch longer.

Decent build, strong stripes, should be some trouble free motoring. Good tough fish.
Resized Image
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 30/6/2008 13:05
Re: got my doradids into the main tank #3
excellent ive been watching them in the lfs for a while naw and their feeding well couldn't believe haw much they can pack away also don't think ime going to have a problem with to many fry from the fire mouths they spawned agen and the fry where predated by these guys within one night
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 1/7/2008 9:23
Re: got my doradids into the main tank #4
Yeah thats one of the things I like about them in cichlid aquaria, they do stop you getting overloaded with fry, and they seem to be able to do it without being noticed, and are heavily armoured enough to get away with it even if they are noticed.

Strange buzzing noises like a mobile phone on a table in the night for you too then. lol.

Really funny the first time you hear it- "WTF is that?" Couple of times the gf and I have blamed each other for farting, then realise the noise came from an aquarium.

Resized Image
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 1/7/2008 10:14
Re: got my doradids into the main tank #5
ye my lass dident know i had got them snuck them in lol till she could hear noises from the tank shall we say she got a shock when she turned the lights on the tank with these guys staring at her lol she really douse not like them. catfish freak her out she says lol