dougiec001 dougiec001
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/6/2008 1:16
texas cichlid breeding help!! #1
Struggling to get my pair to breed.They have gone through so many courting displays and loads of pits dug and flat rocks cleaned for a laying site but female wont realease???
Life is better with a fish tank in it.... And if things go wrong theres always
dougiec001 dougiec001
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 23/6/2008 1:18
Re: texas cichlid breeding help!! #2
my watertemp is 24c and all levels at 0ppm so water is fine including ph which is about 7.2
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 23/6/2008 1:25
Re: texas cichlid breeding help!! #3
Perhaps its her condition thats the issue - do you ever practise pre-breeding conditioning through diet? Whats the housing situation for them like?
Resized Image
dougiec001 dougiec001
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 23/6/2008 1:35
Re: texas cichlid breeding help!! #4
Hi mate.Nice to meet you.....been feeding a mixture of hikari gold pellets,frozen daphnia and mozzy larvae and the odd earthworm.Also i use hikari staple which is more veggie based with spirulina just to balance the diet up... They are housed on their own in a 4ft tank with plenty of cover.Maybe do a large water change and up the temperature a couple of degrees??Many thanks
dougiec001 dougiec001
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 23/6/2008 1:38
Re: texas cichlid breeding help!! #5
the male is around 6inches with the female being around 5.Maybe a little smaller..Ive read everywhere she should be mature by now
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 23/6/2008 2:59
Re: texas cichlid breeding help!! #6
Could do, keep em on the cusp of 79-80f they might get to it, sounds like the nutrition should be fine. Sometimes lack of cover makes even the big cichlids retiscent to breed, have they got much? Most of this league of cichlid can get the first fry in around 4-5 months if their growth rate is normal, I assume theyre plenty big enough to have a go even if they dont hatch or the fry die off was bad.Do you run anything like an odd photoperiod that might throw em off, sometimes pays to put em on 12 hours light 12 hours darkness, helps them orient themselves a bit.
Resized Image
dougiec001 dougiec001
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 27/6/2008 1:05
Re: texas cichlid breeding help!! #7
lighting is regular as clock work so thats all fine...Whats a good rock for spawning on?? I have a nice large flat smooth rock?? Got some rougher stuff though if that will be better? Thanks again
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 27/6/2008 1:46
Re: texas cichlid breeding help!! #8
Well if you mentally visualise the egg coverage of a full spawn, that would cover up to a 6x6 inch area, so a flat square cut rock of those dimensions or bigger would do the trick. Oddly enough I have some old petrified bits of tree (now stone obviously), mostly square or rectangular, that most of my cichlids prefer over everything else. These guys will prefer horizontal over vertical surfaces.

Site it near the outflow where the current is steady and gentle and avoid the powerful inflow and they might take to it. Make sure the nestsite is about 6 inches clear of other decor, cichlids this size tend to like at least 6 inches clear line of site around the nest so they can spot anything coming that might eat eggs.
Resized Image